Exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gfresh

Exhaust

Post by Gfresh »

I'm currently in the process of tracking down a KL-ZE for my 94 GS, and while I'm tracking it down I thought, hey, why not do some other mods that I'm going to need for my ZE anyways.

Here's my question:

What size of pipe should I run under the car for the ZE? I've heard 2.5" but I want to confirm this. I'm planning on running a tanabe tuner street medallion muffler too.

Also, If I have 2.5" pipe with this new muffler on my K8 before I swap, will I lose power?

Thanks.

Oh one more thing. Clutch question. I'm planning on going with an ACT, and as far as I know I need the one for the K8 Engine (MX-3) correct? Like i'm not swapping the tranny, just the engine, so when I'm searching the site for my clutch I should be looking for the 1.8L V6 Clutch and not the 2.5L V6 clutch for, say an MX-6, or does it even really make a difference?

Thanks again.
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Re: Exhaust

Post by Kirk95gs »

A general rule for exhaust is 1" for 1 liter of engine. So 2.5"/2.25 is right for a klze. it wont hurt the k8 to run the same also if your planing on a swap. I ran it for 4 years befor I completed mine.

And you can run the 2.5 v6 mx6/probe clutch on the k8. If you are installing a ze then you will need this clutch cause the stock 1.8 will not hold up for long. the probe/mx6 clutch will work fine on the k8 G serires trans.
323v6

Post by 323v6 »

go 2.5 full mandrel.its a v6(big engine) ,im going 2.5 to 3" on mine ,only got bolt ons.(ze)yeah its N/A
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

it really doesn't matter on the exhaust as there really is no way to control the back pressure on these engines because of the VRIS. Id go with a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 nothing bigger though, and a nice resonator no catalytic converter if you don't need to pass any emissions thing where you live.

And about the clutch you should go with a stronger clutch as the K8 one wouldn't hold very long with he new found HP and TQ. Go with one from a MX-6 as they fit the same and the pressure plate is about 10mm bigger then a MX-3 one.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I agree...no more than 2.5" and you should know that you will lose all of the bottom end if you use that on your K8 until you get the ZE in there.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”