disk or drum

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
cricketol2

disk or drum

Post by cricketol2 »

im thinking of switching from drum brakes in the back to disk but i dont know if it would ne even worth the time to do are there any big brake kits for the back and could i use any other car other then trying to find a mx3 to get the parts to switch from drum to disk?

help please
rekognize

Re: disk or drum

Post by rekognize »

If you're gonna do AutoX then go for it
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

The only good reason to have drum brakes is drag racing, because they drag less than disks. There is a really good write up about big brake kits.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

^^^^get me a link for that. i don't really believe drum have less drag than disk, if so its very minimal. It also depends on how you have them adjusted.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

where would i find the AutoX and does any one know where i could get a conversion kit for the back brakes or even just to get the parts i need to do this?
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

cricketol2 wrote:where would i find the AutoX and does any one know where i could get a conversion kit for the back brakes or even just to get the parts i need to do this?
AutoX = autocross = motorsport

I needed that laugh though ;)
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

ok well heres for the last guy

where would i find the AutoX = autocross = motorsport and does any one know where i could get a conversion kit for the back brakes or even just to get the parts i need to do this?

now can i get help or more jokes ?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Autocross is a type of racing, and he was saying that if you're going to race autocross, which relies heavily on braking ability, you should switch to disks. Search "big brake", or similar, and you'll find the writeup. It's about switching to bigger disks, but would work for what you're looking for.
Sorry, I don't have a link to prove that drums drag less than disks. I learned it before there were links. Maybe nowadays disks are better in that way.... If they are, then I guess there's no good reason to have drum brakes. Generally, disk brakes move much less to make contact, and are pretty much always touching the rotor, whereas, the drums don't touch, considering all are adjusted right. I agree that it makes almost no difference, but when tenths, or even hundredths count, it can.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
cricketol2

Post by cricketol2 »

i know what Autocross is but where do i get the parts i dont think you people get that . so i dont need to know what Autocross is so for the last guy you did not help at all
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

search "brake conversion"

the 50 posts will tell you enough to move forward. If you don't want to get dumped on in this forum, you have to make an effort to figure this crap out for yourself.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”