Locking Lug

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SmoothMX3

Locking Lug

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Hey, I would love to put my set of rims on but when i bought the car, they did not have the lug key. Im guessing the 1 locking lug nut on each rim is stock?
anyways, if anyone has this key or can get it, im looking to buy one just to get these rims off. thanks
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Locking Lug

Post by umcamara »

I'm pretty sure that locking lug nut is not stock. There may be better ideas out there, but I would go at it with a big ole pair of vice grips and a big breaker bar.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
davmac

Post by davmac »

Lock nuts are not standard equipment so maybe there is a chance to find the key by finding the previous owner. Tire shops see this kind of thing all the time. The basic procedure is to hammer a hardened special socket onto the lock nut and remove it that way. Your lock nuts are trash, but your wheel is good for another tire or whatever you have planned.
Proud owner of a Faded Red 92 MX-3 GS
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Just hammer on a tight fitting socket over it and loosen it - you will end up destroying the socket....

Some tire shops may have keys for lock nuts.....
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

good thing you haven't had a flat tire so far....
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

this isn't really v6 related.

but this should be an easy fix. Loosen all 3 wheel lugs then go for a drive and take some corners fast. I'm sure it will come off.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

shameem wrote:Just hammer on a tight fitting socket over it and loosen it - you will end up destroying the socket....

Some tire shops may have keys for lock nuts.....
A lot of tire shops have ways to remove em. I had a set of 4 removed at NTB couple years back on a MX-6 I bought. Took 10 minutes and cost $10. Ck around.
Image -Jim
93MX3KLZE-T

Post by 93MX3KLZE-T »

I would go to your local auto parts store and look for a set of locking lugs that look to have the same key as the ones you have now and buy those. Then you have a new set of lugs and some spares.

Jeremy
93 MX-3 GS, KL-ZE, T304E ***SOLD***
221.9 whp 219.0 wtq @ 5 psi untuned
13.4 @ 108 mph
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

93MX3KLZE-T wrote: I would go to your local auto parts store and look for a set of locking lugs that look to have the same key as the ones you have now and buy those. Then you have a new set of lugs and some spares.

Jeremy
ive tried this. i would go to canadian tire buy a bunch of sets that looked kinda like what i needed. but what i failed to realize is that in the packet it says that the deigns are computer generated and there are more than 100,000 designs. so good luck tring to find your design.

Go with the slightly larger socket, thats what i did and it worked. Just pray that the last person who put your tires on didnt use an impact wrench.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
bp_turbo94

Post by bp_turbo94 »

i had the same problem just use a 13 sided sosket and hammer it on and then pop it off very easy
9Red3

Post by 9Red3 »

I had the same problem when I got my mx-3, took it to a local shop, got them to take em off. Couple bucks, all done.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

tire store said they can get it off.. but btw, you cant put a socket on these kind. it's round on the outside and in the middle its got a round peice with the socket design on it. pretty weird lookin.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
9Red3

Post by 9Red3 »

SmoothMX3 wrote:tire store said they can get it off.. but btw, you cant put a socket on these kind. it's round on the outside and in the middle its got a round peice with the socket design on it. pretty weird lookin.
If I remember correctly, that's what it looked like on mine too.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

those are tuner lugs and ya there designed so u cant get them off without the key. ive never came accros on how to remove them so my advice would be to take it to a shop. But im sure someone has a trick :lol:
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Gotcha!

Thanks for the input guys!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”