can a circuit board be repaired? help please :(

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

can a circuit board be repaired? help please :(

Post by Mooneggs »

AUGH I am so pissed at my lack of electronics skill - I was working on installing my headlight motors and trying to wire up the switch... I was trying to figure out what went where (without a wiring diagram) and I ended burning like 1/16 of a inch section near the bottom of this circuit board inside the switch (below the 5 little sauder points) - can it be repaired? like maybe lay down some more copper or something? I am no expert (if it's not completely obvious already)

yeah I'm an idiot... I'm in over my head on this project... I'm really bummed out about this since it was a $40 switch...and I burned up 2 of them!

here's the other side of the board:

Custommx3
Site Administrator

Re: can a circuit board be repaired? help please :(

Post by Custommx3 »

If your cheap..
get a twist tie.. remove all the coating..
bend it to the nearest contact point in the circuit and soilder it to it.. bending the twist tie (cutting off access) along the line of the circuit.

You also may could use a defroster repair kit.
Volones

Post by Volones »

You can totally repair it.
Just scrape off a little of the coating on each side of the break, and solder a small jumper across it with insulated wire.

It's always best to 'tin' the solder points before you connect the wires, that way all you have to do is heat the solder just enough to melt it, and the 'tinned' wire will connect almost immediately. You'll find that with this method, you'll only apply heat to the connection for a couple of seconds at a time. Also allow the board to cool down between soldering heats.

It's really easy to break those lines, and really difficult to repair them to look exactly like new, but a small jumper wire can be used very reliably and is pretty easy to do. I have confidence in your skills!

Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Custommx3 wrote:If your cheap..
get a twist tie.. remove all the coating..
bend it to the nearest contact point in the circuit and soilder it to it.. bending the twist tie (cutting off access) along the line of the circuit.

You also may could use a defroster repair kit.
Oh, and thats how I reparied the one your using ( the power folding mirror swicth). Not having a wiring diagram is a PITA :)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Custommx3 wrote:Oh, and thats how I reparied the one your using ( the power folding mirror swicth). Not having a wiring diagram is a PITA :)
unless you are extremely lucky at wiring it right the first time - such as I have been until yesterday LOL
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”