Silver Box

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
mazdags94

Silver Box

Post by mazdags94 »

There is a silver box that sits above my ECU inside the vehicle and it isnt properly mounted. I dont know what it is for but based on some wiring near it, my guess is that it might be a control unit for the airbags? If not does anyone know what this could be? My camera took a dump so I'm gonna try to get some pics of it on here asap. I just want to know cuz if I dont need it I'll just get rid of it.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Silver Box

Post by Mooneggs »

mazdags94 wrote: I just want to know cuz if I dont need it I'll just get rid of it.
LOL why get rid of it? weight reduction?! :confused2:
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Mooneggs wrote:
mazdags94 wrote: I just want to know cuz if I dont need it I'll just get rid of it.
LOL why get rid of it? weight reduction?! :confused2:

hahaha.... nah, just because it isn't bolted to anything and I need the space to run wires, access the ECU, and mount my new crossovers. Plus, I dont intend to keep the airbags so i just want to get rid of anything I dont really need. Maybe sell or something. I get bothered by useless parts hangin around that will not serve a purpose. As you can see by my worklog, I'm gutting everything and am going to go custom.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

Hmm why remove a safety device like the Airbag ???
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Well, the airbags are very old, so who knows if they would work properly, if at all. Being as old as it is, I'm sure the airbag systems back in 94 (the year of my car) aren't as safe as the one's made today. I dont need it and did just fine with my previous mx-3 (no airbags) driving around safely.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Might want to check your local laws on removing your airbags. I know it's illegal in many areas.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Might want to check your local laws on removing your airbags. I know it's illegal in many areas.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

mazdags94 wrote:Well, the airbags are very old, so who knows if they would work properly, if at all. Being as old as it is, I'm sure the airbag systems back in 94 (the year of my car) aren't as safe as the one's made today. I dont need it and did just fine with my previous mx-3 (no airbags) driving around safely.

No matter how safe you drive there is always a chance something bad can happen. I don't see why it would bother you so much. just stick it back in there and forget about it. that way if something does happen, you at least stand a chance.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

If I change my steering wheel then I wont be able to keep the drivers side airbag anyway. I'm not looking to be as unsafe as possible but this car isnt even going to be my primary vehicle, just something for weekends and or local shows when possible. But anyways, I managed to remount this box so theres no more trouble.
havoc13

Post by havoc13 »

from what i understand that has something to do with the parking brake i unplugged that relay and my car started rolling back
Always under construction
mortenmorfar

Post by mortenmorfar »

isn't the parking brake manual like on any other car ?, I don't see why unplugging something electronic would change the way a cable handbrake operates.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Maybe you disconnected something that had to do with the shifter and caused it to unlock electronically and go into neutral. The parking brake would be manual since it has a brake cable. There is a wire but that just indicates on your dash that your E-brake is on.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Take a pic or this thread is a waste of time.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

mazdags94 wrote:If I change my steering wheel then I wont be able to keep the drivers side airbag anyway. I'm not looking to be as unsafe as possible but this car isnt even going to be my primary vehicle, just something for weekends and or local shows when possible. But anyways, I managed to remount this box so theres no more trouble.

as you can see, I already solved the problem but the posts kept coming. Thanks for the post, although it was unnecessary :roll:

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”