And Another Overheating Problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
94drumx3

And Another Overheating Problem

Post by 94drumx3 »

I've noticed a lot of posts on here about overheating but there's always something different in each case.
I have a 1994 Mazda Mx-3 that is overheating.
There is antifreeze leaking from somewhere. its not from the two radiator hoses that go to the engine but from something else. My heater core is plugged or something and the heat doesn't work in my car...I dont know if that helps or anything, but I cant really find the leak, i can hear it and it seems to be from one of the hoses from the engine to somewhere but i dont know where else antifreeze goes besides the radiator.
I just got a thermostat that i'm gonna replace today. I cant do anything while i'm here at work for another 4 hours or so...in the mean time do you think its the thermostat with something leaking like that?
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
jason5151

Re: And Another Overheating Problem

Post by jason5151 »

Its most likely a water pump,so do timing chain at same time.
check all hose clamps to make sure they are tight!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

ah poop! is that something i can do on my own or have to take in? est. cost for each?
timing chain? where's that?
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Timing belt is very important to install correctly

94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

nice! thank ya so much!
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

94drumx3 wrote:I've noticed a lot of posts on here about overheating but there's always something different in each case.
I have a 1994 Mazda Mx-3 that is overheating.
There is antifreeze leaking from somewhere. its not from the two radiator hoses that go to the engine but from something else. My heater core is plugged or something and the heat doesn't work in my car...I dont know if that helps or anything, but I cant really find the leak, i can hear it and it seems to be from one of the hoses from the engine to somewhere but i dont know where else antifreeze goes besides the radiator.
I just got a thermostat that i'm gonna replace today. I cant do anything while i'm here at work for another 4 hours or so...in the mean time do you think its the thermostat with something leaking like that?
H2O pump could leak if it's worn out but is the last thing to check cuz...

1) It is the most complicated reason for leaking coolant. Work from simple toward complex. You're already on the right track from your posted info.

2) You can hear the leak means you can see the leak, but only if you fill the coolant when engine is cold and then run it to operating temp while you listen/watch for the leak.

3)H2O pumps don't make a pressure-leaking noise when they start leaking. They just start seeping and eventually gushing coolant down low on the left side of the engine as you face it. Sounds like you're describing more of a hose/fitting/radiator type of pressure/heat-escaping-sound. Focus on those areas first to find the source.

4) Heater core doesn't generate heat if your coolant level is too low. It draws its heat supply from hot coolant passing thru it. See diag. below for location of heater hoses in the engine bay. One may need replacing, costs a few dollars. A water pump and timing belt replacement cost hundreds and DIY is a pita.

5)Thermostat not likely related to any leak. Also, 99x out of 100 thermo malufunctions cuz it sticks shut not open, meaning it causes your coolant to not circulate and to overheat in the engine. When that happens, your heater blows even hotter than normal as opposed to not getting warm.

6)Your '94 is identical to the '95. Go to the MX-3.com main page and check outthe online workshop manual. All is answered there if not here... g/l
Image -Jim
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

just wanted to thank everyone right quick for their help thus far.
Its not the water pump. its leaking from one of the hoses thats underneath the air intake. i couldn't reach it with the tools i had so i had to take it in. i'm still waiting on a response for what it was exactly.
there was some gunk caught up in the radiator too so maybe it was blocking a hose a building up pressure forcing it out of one of the not-so-tight hoses. Also i was getting no heat.
Again, i will update this as soon as i hear back as to what the problem is, in case this ever happens to anyone else.
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

ok so it turns out that one of the hoses where i mentioned earlier...under the air intake, had a hole in it. i still get no heat tho. but that's just another story.
lost_mx3

Post by lost_mx3 »

I have a 95 with 1.6 it wasn't overheating but started losing coolant from the bottom of the motor. It was the water pump & the shop charged $400 for new pump, new timing belt, coolant fill, new thermostat, & a oil change. Now the fun part is that I had heat before & now I don't. All they said at the shop was that the new pump was putting so much more coolant through the motor that it can't build any heat. Not a problem for summer months, but it's been some really cold driving this winter!
1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC 5SP.
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

I'm having a prob as well and i cant find out what it is. I've replaced the thermostat twice and it works fine right after i change it. the a couple of weeks later the car starts to overheat, ive noticed that the coolant is a bit dirty( there are brown particles everywhere). Now for the tricky part, when it starts overheating i can fix it if i peel out. I have no idea what it can be, im thinking it may be the water pump but im not sure. i also saw that there is a couple of places that there should be a hose but i cant tell where it goes. If any one can help me that would be great. there is a visual aide

old man in a mx

Post by old man in a mx »

To Lost_mx3
I don't buy the shops line about putting so much flow through the motor. They're feeding you a line. The thermostat operates to build up heat and maintain operating temperature. You should check your coolant level. 4 cylinders in fact build heat faster than v-8s because there is less surface area in a block to heat up. But anyway you should be getting heat. It's not just the thermostat though. Could be a blocked heater core line from sealant or other debrie in the heater core lines ect. Just keep a close eye on it and check it out some more. If you can't figure this out then take it to another shop and ask them about it.

To Stablo87
I think you should maybe try a cooling system flush if it's that dirty. Also check under and around that timing belt cover as you may have a bad pump. I had a formula with a bad pump drive (it was driven by the camshaft) and would overheat until I got the rpms up. A bad impeller would exhibit the same problem. But start with the easy fixes first.
Hope this helps!
lost_mx3

Post by lost_mx3 »

old man in a mx wrote:To Lost_mx3
I don't buy the shops line about putting so much flow through the motor. They're feeding you a line. The thermostat operates to build up heat and maintain operating temperature. You should check your coolant level. 4 cylinders in fact build heat faster than v-8s because there is less surface area in a block to heat up. But anyway you should be getting heat. It's not just the thermostat though. Could be a blocked heater core line from sealant or other debrie in the heater core lines ect. Just keep a close eye on it and check it out some more. If you can't figure this out then take it to another shop and ask them about it.
Wow half of your first post is to me! Thanks. About the shop, yea not really impressed with the answer. The coolant level is perfect, and has been since the work was done. The heater lines may be blocked now but it worked great before the new pump. The temp gauge always ran right in the middle before the work now it's bottomed out most of the time. On warm days (like 50ish) it will come up a little but it hasn't hit the 1/4 mark yet. Payday is in a week so it may be going to a different place then. Let me know if there is anything else you can think of.
1995 MX-3 1.6 DOHC 5SP.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”