Stock 94 1.6 DOHC...slowww

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Re: Stock 94 1.6 DOHC...slowww

Post by Bumpysbro »

well with the miata cams if they came with gears you dont need to if not then you gotta swap yours onto those. now adjustable as i hear arent totally needed but very helpful for dialing them in correctly. i cant remember who did it first but he said the cams made the most difference from anything else. and ya with a better flowing exhaust and intake will make it all run better. theres a write up somewhere on here but you gotta search pretty good to find em.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
lazzer408

Post by lazzer408 »

Depending on your build the Miata heads are fairly tough. If you want to run high rpm and/or cams you should at least get single coil Supertech valvesprings. The valves handle them fine from what I'm told. The '99-00 Miata heads flow better and the '01+ is the same design with added vvt. Unshroud the valves for another 25lbs-ft torque. The exhaust cam in the intake needs to be 180deg +6deg adv. for full benefits. Your dealing with a 1.6 so I guess this information is useless unless your doing a 1.8 swap. The 1.6 is like a D16, you have to boost the s--- out of it to get powah!
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

Well I'm in the same boat as you are. There in not much you can do by bolt ons to make some good N/A power out of a B6. If you want more hp you would just slap on a turbo. I was going to build up a High revving B6 with ITBs, high compression pistons, cams, etc but I don't have the funds for that yet. As it right now, my car has a few mods and I'm happy how it is. I have other stuff to worry about now like body work and suspension. Latter on I will build the extra engine that I have =) You should give the miata cams a try. I'm sure you would feel the difference :D
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
nate2k5 wrote: everyone needs to face it, the mx3 really isn't a great project car, mid 13's is a good accomplishment with mx3's and thats not all that good

i don't agree with that comment but but then again everyone has there choice in Cars.

i choose the MX-3 i past mid 13's a long time ago..

then again honda's are cheaper to make faster than the avg mazda.. let alone the MX-3.

but props on a 12 sec N/A honda i need my boost.. hate to say it but mazda don't make shyt for power in N/A form

12 sec TRP MX-3 FTW
I dont agree with that comment either. I like my car. I dont have a crx, civic & all the other. Honestly the orginal poster should have done his research before he bought the car. I had a toyota tercel that thing was slow. then i bought my MX I liked it for the loook.

Stock wheels vs larger wheels

I've been arguing this for years yes smaller wheels will make your car go faster because it takes less time & energy to make the wheel go in a circle, but remeber when you spin a wheel the inertia increases the weight of the wheel. Honestly just buy light 17's because not only does it make you car stick out to the cops that your a street racer but it looks stupid to have nice wheels in the back & stock wheels in the front.

When i got my Mx i didnt have time & money to fix mine up i just waited & did one thing at a time
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

i have a stock b6de with exhaust and a cold air intake and yes it is slow and it doesnt help that i have heavy 17's either (that i had before i bought my car) i will get lighter ones eventually but i am currently working on a turbo setup for this motor that has been done before by others, and as long as you can do it yourself which im attempting its not too pricey,i already went through and priced it all out for everything i need and its not going to be all that bad(within reach of most bugets) not sure if anyone else is interested in a turbo for there b6de but once ive gathered all the parts and get ready i will be doing a worklog from start to finish on what was all done to make it work,wont be till the summer or fall though seeing that i only have the vj-11 turbo so far but should be getting the 323 turbo manifold soon.
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Vj-11 are tiny
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Here's a little help. Something I found a little while back. This is not my page, it probably belongs to one of our current members. It should help out a lot!

http://mx-3.servehttp.com/The_Bolt-On_Turbo_Project.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

monty73741 wrote:
Limegreen mx-3 wrote:
nate2k5 wrote: everyone needs to face it, the mx3 really isn't a great project car, mid 13's is a good accomplishment with mx3's and thats not all that good

i don't agree with that comment but but then again everyone has there choice in Cars.

i choose the MX-3 i past mid 13's a long time ago..

then again honda's are cheaper to make faster than the avg mazda.. let alone the MX-3.

but props on a 12 sec N/A honda i need my boost.. hate to say it but mazda don't make shyt for power in N/A form

12 sec TRP MX-3 FTW
I dont agree with that comment either. I like my car. I dont have a crx, civic & all the other. Honestly the orginal poster should have done his research before he bought the car. I had a toyota tercel that thing was slow. then i bought my MX I liked it for the loook.

Stock wheels vs larger wheels

I've been arguing this for years yes smaller wheels will make your car go faster because it takes less time & energy to make the wheel go in a circle, but remeber when you spin a wheel the inertia increases the weight of the wheel. Honestly just buy light 17's because not only does it make you car stick out to the cops that your a street racer but it looks stupid to have nice wheels in the back & stock wheels in the front.

When i got my Mx i didnt have time & money to fix mine up i just waited & did one thing at a time
you can disagree but you can't look past the fact that the MX-3 has absolutely horrible aftermarket and most upgrades are stock based engines and the rest is aesthetic stuff that was hot in 1999.

you may love the MX-3 but the lack of love in aftermarket absolutely kills its potential, which it could have since its fairly light...lighter than my integra anyway.
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

good link..should be helpful....and yea the vj-11 is tiny really tiny..but i got it real cheap and its in awesome shape ill use it for awhile but if i keep going on the car will upgrade to a better turbo in the future but it will do the job for now.
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

[quote="import_fan7you can disagree but you can't look past the fact that the MX-3 has absolutely horrible aftermarket and most upgrades are stock based engines and the rest is aesthetic stuff that was hot in 1999.

you may love the MX-3 but the lack of love in aftermarket absolutely kills its potential, which it could have since its fairly light...lighter than my integra anyway.[/quote]

Wow I really dont care about the lack of love in the aftermarket. that happens with lots of cars. I like that if i goto a car show that there will be 1 mx compared to the civics, crx, etc etc. As for lack of aftermarket love u should have been around when i first got my mx there was really no love at all for anything but a V6. also since u complaining about the lack of aftermarket support why not do something about it. WOW we would not have had Cf hoods if it were nt for jarid
Jason Danaher
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

monty73741 wrote:[quote="import_fan7you can disagree but you can't look past the fact that the MX-3 has absolutely horrible aftermarket and most upgrades are stock based engines and the rest is aesthetic stuff that was hot in 1999.

you may love the MX-3 but the lack of love in aftermarket absolutely kills its potential, which it could have since its fairly light...lighter than my integra anyway.

hey that says quote import_fan7....just so it's clear i never said any of that....anyway...thats awesome that someone got them to make cf hoods! ive been tryin to get places to make a true good cat back exhaust system but no dice yet!
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

theres no use trying to get new parts made because there will never be enough to make it worth it, the cars are becoming 13+ years old so there is not going to be an aftermarket explosion for a car thats about at the end of its aftermarket part making cycle

i really don't have a desire to work toward making one part that won't really help the car become quicker, its just my DD. i might be willing to purchase a cheaper intake, header, and exhaust but even simple boltons like these aren't made or are very hard to come across. poor tranny gearing and small powerbands are a couple other concerns
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

nate2k5 wrote:theres no use trying to get new parts made because there will never be enough to make it worth it, the cars are becoming 13+ years old so there is not going to be an aftermarket explosion for a car thats about at the end of its aftermarket part making cycle

i really don't have a desire to work toward making one part that won't really help the car become quicker, its just my DD. i might be willing to purchase a cheaper intake, header, and exhaust but even simple boltons like these aren't made or are very hard to come across. poor tranny gearing and small powerbands are a couple other concerns

I dont feel like argueing with u, just sell u car & buy a honda....
Jason Danaher
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

monty73741 wrote:
nate2k5 wrote:theres no use trying to get new parts made because there will never be enough to make it worth it, the cars are becoming 13+ years old so there is not going to be an aftermarket explosion for a car thats about at the end of its aftermarket part making cycle

I don't feel like arguing with u, just sell u car & buy a honda....
i do have a honda, this mx-3 is my DD as i said
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

you can do anything if you have the money. just have to go custom work, and who cares if the mx3 isnt the fastest out there. theres always gonna be someone faster then you. the mx3 is a great car, very rare where i am and sticks out compared to other cars and its all stock. mx3's rock
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”