Dual 6 1/2 in the door!

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
CarolinaCartel

Dual 6 1/2 in the door!

Post by CarolinaCartel »

Well my Polk MMC 6500 got damaged in shipping and the company has them on back order. :cry: I just asked for a refund. The Polk Db651 sound great but they can't keep up with the bass. So i was thinking of adding another set of 6 1/2 to the doors. So that would be 2-6 1/2 per door. I was want to know if anyone has done this. And how much did it raise the level of the highs. I don't want to this for looks i want real resolves. I have a 15" Kicker L7 with 1500 watts rms and 200 watts rms going to the doors. No rear speaker at all. But I have to keep the bass down so i can hear the highs and that just not going to work for me. So if you have done this please let me know how this setup is working for you and some pics would be helpfully so i can get some ideas as to how i'm going to do this.
1993 Mx-3 Gs
09 Setup
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P80MP w/CD-IB100II & 60 gb Ipod
Speaker: 2 pr MB Quart ESA216 6.5" COMPONENT
Subs: 2 Sundown 15" Nightshades
Highs amp: Sundown SAX-125.2
Sub amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
Electrical: All 1/0 KnuKonceptz Wire Power/Ground, Big 3, 8Ga Speaker Wire, KnuKonceptz Karma RCA's
Dampening: 120sqft 80Mil Thick Sound Destroyer Mat
Goal: 150 DB 149.9 Street Bass
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Dual 6 1/2 in the door!

Post by SuperK »

how much did you spend on the mmc6500's?

I'd say get your refund and find a new set. I know there's the polk/momo sponsored mx-3 that's got a dual 6.5 setup on the doors, but his are fiberglassed on the door panel and completely custom...

To give you a quick reference as to the actual frame (without the door panel)

and with the door panel

As far as no fiberglassing modification, the only comfortable spot it could sit without tearing up your door panel would be right under the power window switch... but the frame that holds the PW mechanism is right there... the 6.5 is pretty big, as you can see, the door panel can only hold it in so many locations.
The other issue, if you went farther south to clear the frame, would be placement. Seriously, you'd have the speaker shooting right in your butt. It wouldn't sound good at all and definitely wouldn't accomplish your objective of balancing out the high's and low's.

I would definitely vote for a single driver that can output enough to balance out your range. The MMC6500's will definitely accomplish that as it is capable of ear-bleeding loudness.
Another tactic that I'd employ, if you want to drive up the highs of your front speaker, is seal off the speaker enclosure in the door.

I took my sound deadening material and wrapped the speaker mount to seal off the speaker and it allowed my driver to output a LOT louder, but diminished my low frequency response.

I could also roll down my window.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

i'm running 6.5 as well i dont think adding 2 more will give you the bass that you want. I added 2 eight inch kicker comps. I got on ebay for like 25 bucks. It give enough bass for the car. I also listen to alot of dance music & noticed that 12's & 15's were really good for certain types of house & dnb

jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
somorecords

Post by somorecords »

first off imo polks arent the answer, i have 2 12 inch hifonic brutus' that hit hard enough to roll the windows down and unlatch my sunroof, then for speakers i have two 5 1/4 blaupunkts in the doors and 2 5 by 7 blaupunks in the back, followed by six tweeters, four in the back two in the front and it screems over the 12's

but personaly i dont like polk, i blow them up to easy but diffrent people are diffrent, it depends on the music u listen to and how loud u listen to it but for high ranges i recommend blaupunk, however with blaupunk u deffinatly have to have subs becouse the speekers will not handle bass
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Then you haven't used the MMC6500's.

They're loud enough to make you want to jump out of the car and "do a barrel roll"

For a speaker that has the dB sensitivity as the blaupunkts and over twice the power handling, I'd be hard pressed to say that $70 blaupunkts are louder.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
chew*

Post by chew* »

somorecords wrote:first off imo polks arent the answer, i have 2 12 inch hifonic brutus' that hit hard enough to roll the windows down and unlatch my sunroof, then for speakers i have two 5 1/4 blaupunkts in the doors and 2 5 by 7 blaupunks in the back, followed by six tweeters, four in the back two in the front and it screems over the 12's

but personaly i dont like polk, i blow them up to easy but diffrent people are diffrent, it depends on the music u listen to and how loud u listen to it but for high ranges i recommend blaupunk, however with blaupunk u deffinatly have to have subs becouse the speekers will not handle bass

First off I would love to see either a video of your windows rolling down by themselves and a picture of how worn out your window tracks and condition of the rubber around your windows.............

I say this because I specialize in SPL competitions and I highly doubt your 2 hifonics 12's ( which fyi Hifonics sux now ) that they are capable of doing what you said they do...........I suggest you go to a comptition, register, compete, Post links and pics of your score from a trusted sanctioned SPL event holder such as USAC or DB drag also with what mic and placement that was used for said SPL...............

Btw I've cracked 153db on the dash On the TL meter with a single 15" sub........ I even cracked my windshield, the windows will still not roll down on they're own........and here's some more FYI that sunroof cuts 3db off closed or not........

Blaupunkt is horrible...........The momo's are near impossible to blow unless you send straight distortion through them.............
I push my 6 1/2 polk momos with a 650 watt amp. 325w per speaker which have a rating of 125 IIRC............2 years of beating the crud out of them and me being lazy and not disconneting the RCA's when I go through the lane to burp a note...........still going strong...........

Sorry for the thread hijack cartel but I hate it when people pretend to know what they are talking about............
got db's? If your windshield ain't breakin you were taken.........
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Oh man, I feel so much better with another voice of reason in this thread.

I thought I'd have to start bragging about my Pyramid sound system at this rate!

And what I want to know is how many polks you've gone through, somorecords?
Because, last time I checked, the number had to be higher than zero...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
CarolinaCartel

Post by CarolinaCartel »

Sorry I haven't reponsed to this in awhile. I'm going all kicker with the car. It will have two Kicker RS 6.5 in each door and two Kicker ND25 1" Tweeters in each A piler. The will have a fiberglass door pod. I'm taking alot of pictures so when it done I'll post them here. I have one set of Kicker RS componet in right now. They are getting 200 wrms. I'm going to show the car in a few N.S.P.L show this year. I'm hoping to get in the mid to high 140's.
1993 Mx-3 Gs
09 Setup
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-P80MP w/CD-IB100II & 60 gb Ipod
Speaker: 2 pr MB Quart ESA216 6.5" COMPONENT
Subs: 2 Sundown 15" Nightshades
Highs amp: Sundown SAX-125.2
Sub amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
Electrical: All 1/0 KnuKonceptz Wire Power/Ground, Big 3, 8Ga Speaker Wire, KnuKonceptz Karma RCA's
Dampening: 120sqft 80Mil Thick Sound Destroyer Mat
Goal: 150 DB 149.9 Street Bass

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”