CEL 13 8 or 138?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
hpcbmw

CEL 13 8 or 138?

Post by hpcbmw »

93 mx3 4 cyl base model- the cel light has been flashing, so i used a paperclip to pull codes. I get 1 long flash, then 3 short flashes, then 8 short flashes. There is a 4 second delay between each flash. I found a forum thread with some codes, but none of them seem to have 13, 8 or 138. I guess the online service manual is down, cause i can't seem to access any links to that.

The car runs fine. I tightened the a/c belt the day before the codes started flashing, but it doesn't seem to me that this would be part of the problem.

Oh yeah - how do you reset the cel?

Thanks for the help!
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Codes 10 & 8 are for the MAF, Code 3 is for the Cam angle sensor in the disty.
Unhook the battery negative and push brake pedal for 30 seconds to reset ecu.
hpcbmw

Post by hpcbmw »

Thanks for the info. I was caught up in house projects and didn't get around to doing anything about this- and the cel went out! It still goes on when the key is in "run" before car starts, so i know the light didn't burn out. Is it normal for something to "fix" itself? Maybe just bad gas? maybe a vacuum leak from a hose that re sealed?

Any ideas? Should I dig into this or just let it ride with my fingers crossed?
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

If the connectors were unhooked for a brief while - it may have stored those codes and after the ECU "sees" the proper readings (after the connectors are plugged in) for more than a few days it will turn off the CEL - the codes will still be there i think (i.e. you will probably see it if you do TEN-GND) - so it might be a good idea to reset the computer and clear the codes.
hpcbmw

Re: CEL 13 8 or 138?

Post by hpcbmw »

Thanks for the CEL info. I've changed out the MAF for a junkyard one, and I no longer get an "8" when i pull the codes - YEA. I've still got two questions:
1 When I jump ten and gnd, then turn on the key, the CEL stays lit for about 4 seconds, then goes dark, then three short flashes, then dark, then three short flashes, then dark, then three short, etc. Is the long CEL when I turn on the car a code, or just setting itself into code mode or something? Bottom line - am I getting a 10 and a 3, or just a three?

2. I know I've got a code three, which I'm told is cam angle sensor in distributor. I checked that all wiring into and out of the disty, and all the grounds seem tight. What else can I do, short of replacing the disty?

Thanks in advance!
hpcbmw

Re: CEL 13 8 or 138?

Post by hpcbmw »

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”