My car needs help!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MazdaMan85

My car needs help!!

Post by MazdaMan85 »

This issue is for a 92 with atx and v6. At first the car kept dieing when put in gear. So I thought it was a tranny issue. But today I drove about 10 miles and shut the car off. 5 minutes later started it back up and put it in reverse and of course it stalled. Tried to restart and wouldn't. Waited 30 seconds and it started and idled fine and reved fine. Started to drive down the road and it stalled and same thing had to wait to restart and stalled while driving again. But now when I start it I can't rev it passed 3 thousand or it dies. It doesn't stumble or anything it just shuts off. The only cel is fuel pressure regulator but that has been there for a while. Checked the plugs, wires, and fuel. It will idle forever but once I give it some gas. Changed the filter and everything. Help!!
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: My car needs help!!

Post by shameem »

Check for cracks and holes in the air intake tube - spray some carb cleaner or wd-40 around the intake tube while the engine is idling - if the idle changes when you spray you have a leak...

Also,
http://www.clubprotege.com/wil/howto/hei/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

I have checked all the piping and hoses and no unmetered air is there. So now I'm thinking its the ignition module failing. Is there anyway to test that?? I'm going to do the hei mod without the coil. Anything else I should check?? I just replaced the fuel filter and haven't tried starting it yet. But now its raining so damn..
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

hrmmm.. doesnt feel like an ignition module problem to me... for one thing you'd have to wait a whole lot longer than 30 seconds to see your car starting up again. plus it only dies when you give it gas. if it were an air leak, you wouldnt have to wait at all to start her back up. my guess is the something's up with the fuel... that FPR code sounds like it could be it... no reason to think an existing problem can't get worse...
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

Good news for my mx3. It turned out to be the ignition module. I installed the fuel filter then installed the external mod.. Started right up even after being flooded. It runs smoother then before. Thanks guys.....

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”