Sunroof sticks

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
turbine

Sunroof sticks

Post by turbine »

I searched but couldnt find a post on this...

My sunroof cant open from closed under its own power. If i give it a push whilst holding the switch to open it, it will open then lift itself up and back, then close itself fine but it cant unstick itself when closed... Anyone know how to fix this?

I think if the motor had a tiny bit more power it would be able to undock its self. Ive cleaned up all the running rails with the sunroof open and regreased them but it hasnt made a difference..

Any ideas?
21m sw london, mazda mx3 1.8 v6 1993 carribean turquoise blue.
ElectricEnergy

Re: Sunroof sticks

Post by ElectricEnergy »

I've got the same problem. Mine was so bad when I first bought it that you could not close it at all. The car had been sitting for about a year so it was pretty badly seized up. Cleaning it didn't really help. After a few weeks of using it though it eventually freed up.

David
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

on mine it actually ended up being the sunroof button. it would start closing, then stop at random. but yours does sound like it could b the motor
AKA Deimos
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

this is my first car with a sunroof so I'm not really for sure about this. If Ihold the button after it has finished opening or closing the motor still runs. Is that normal? I noticed it right away and have never done it since becuase I don't want to hurt the motor or gears.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I have this same problem... I have tried swapping the motors but without any results. I think if you grease the rails it will help...

but I still have to manually help mine along...
Devlin

Post by Devlin »

lowflyinmx3 wrote:this is my first car with a sunroof so I'm not really for sure about this. If Ihold the button after it has finished opening or closing the motor still runs. Is that normal? I noticed it right away and have never done it since becuase I don't want to hurt the motor or gears.
it's a basic electrical sunroof. so the motor will run whenever you press the button (or at least is supposed to).
there's no failsafe to tell it not to work when it is all the way closed or opened unfortunately.
AKA Deimos
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Yeah i have the same thing, i cleaned all the rails and took it all apart and re-greased it, it did work that day and the next then i don't know it just started to do the same thing.

Doesn't close on its own i have to guide it, some times doesn't open on its own but it almost seems like the weather stripping sticks so i have to push up to open it.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
turbine

Post by turbine »

Ah Ha Think i have solved the sunroof mystery.

My sunroof was sticking when closed, the power from the motor, not quite enough to undock it. I cleaned out all the shite using cotton buds and tissue. This still left a bit of crud hear and there. I then greased everything and it worked for a day then started sticking again. been like that for a couple of weeks.

Today i used some WD40 with the straw attached to the nozzle to blast in all the little knooks and crannys and generally splash the stuff all over the moving parts and Bam! Its been working flawlessly for the past few days.

Sorted! (Hopefully it will last)
21m sw london, mazda mx3 1.8 v6 1993 carribean turquoise blue.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

wd40 eh? maybe I'll give it a shot :welder:
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

I'll have to try that WD-40 too.

My sunroof has been sticking quite a bit too. It takes like 3 pushes of the button. It will go so far with one push, let off, goes so far on the second push, let go, opens fully on the third push. Same with closing it.
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I had the same problem with my 92 GS. I cleaned it out and also used the WD40 but over time, the WD40 actually dried up tracks and made it difficult to move. WD40 is petroleum based which likes to remove grease and gunk (and also the wax on your car's body) and lubricates to a degree. What I did was use the WD40 to clean and then apply a white lithium grease on the tracks and some of the 3 in 1 oil for the springs and such. My sunroof in my 94 used to stick but doesn't have any problems after doing this. Just my experience with it.

Did you know that the 40 in WD 40 stands for the chemists 40th try to create a solution that prevents corrosion? The WD stands for water displacement. Some extra unneccesary info for everyone.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

If WD 40 doesent work i recomed using White Lithium Grease its fairly innexpensive and it will last a while.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

I had the same issue.. All I did was use some liquid wrench on the wheels and rails...open and closed the sun roof for 15mins or so to make sure the lubricant was all over everything.. let it sit for a couple hours.. went back and blasted it with air... then greased everything up and added more liquid wrench and that was that... on really hot days it still sticks.. 90% of the time it works great...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I have the same problem, i tried tons of cns of wd40 and it didnt work.. its not the motor because i recognize the motor slipping the chain noise.. this time it just opens to the top but wont slide back :( bohoo

happened after the car sat without use for around 3 months.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”