No low beams-Stock 94-No mods

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
MX-3_94

No low beams-Stock 94-No mods

Post by MX-3_94 »

I have a 1994 MX-3 with a 4 cyl. I have done no modifications to my car-yet. Recently, my low beams quit working. One day they were fine, the next day, nothing. I have to drive with my high beams on(good thing my lenses yellowed out). Any ideas?
solo_ryder

Re: No low beams-Stock 94-No mods

Post by solo_ryder »

Did you pull the bulbs out and look at them? Maybe the low beam filament's are burnt out. Did you try new bulbs?
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

yeppers new bulbs
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
MX-3_94

Post by MX-3_94 »

I did not try the bulbs. I did not think both bulbs would burn out at exactly the same time. I was thinking maybe it was some kind of low/high beam switch or something. I will look at the bulbs and see if they are bad. Thanks for the info.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

If you change the bulbs and that doesn't work, your best bet is to first check the fuse under the hood and make sure it's not burned out.

Next will be to change the combination switch. My roommate's MX-3 had a bad combo switch (it's the assembly that holds the wiper, signal and headlight, ect. handles behind the steering wheel.
and we changed it out, worked like a charm.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
leemx3

Post by leemx3 »

can u update me on what happened because im having the same problem my lows went out too but my high beams work and im also wondering if that has anything to do with the relay or would it most likely be the switch
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

leemx3 wrote:can u update me on what happened because im having the same problem my lows went out too but my high beams work and im also wondering if that has anything to do with the relay or would it most likely be the switch
This is almost always caused by burnt out bulbs. Headlight bulbs have 2 filaments, one for low and one for high beam. Usually the low beam filament burns out first because they are used most often.

Change your bulbs before anything else.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

leemx3 wrote:can u update me on what happened because im having the same problem my lows went out too but my high beams work and im also wondering if that has anything to do with the relay or would it most likely be the switch
If anything it is the bulb or the switch. The relay has nothing to do with it as that basically controls the wattage for the daytime running lights, you can take that out if you want.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

bulbs, then fuse, then switch. It's not that hard, just go out and check them. replace as necessary
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
leemx3

Post by leemx3 »

thanks it was the bulbs both just went out at the same time. but get this the guy at my auto zone here told me it was the relay in the steering wheel and it costed 500 to replace..glad i checked first
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

leemx3 wrote:thanks it was the bulbs both just went out at the same time. but get this the guy at my auto zone here told me it was the relay in the steering wheel and it costed 500 to replace..glad i checked first
LOL :o

if you have any more problems, check the mx-3.com forums first - 10 minutes could save you up to $500 or more on car problems :D
MX-3_94

Post by MX-3_94 »

I have been meaning to reply to the helpful tips. It was the bulbs. You guys saved me lots of time. Thanks! :2thumbsup:

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”