Ground Wire kit

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zombiechow

Ground Wire kit

Post by zombiechow »

Ok the upgraded ground wire kit:

I know this has been posted before and it looks like from this:

http://mx-3.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t= ... &&start=45

it did have a good diy from projectmazda.com but it's no longer up. So. I was wondering if you guys could help me out. I see a ton of you have done this kit so somebody has go to be able to put up a good FAQ with pictures. Please please please. :) Thanks.

Scott
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

they have them on e-bay

some say it works other waste of me

i don't have one so there my two cents
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

its a proven fact that thicker wire conducts electricity better, the more threads the better. Will it help your car Yes, Will you see actual noticeable gains, probably not. but it is a good idea if you have a few bucks to spend
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

hey thanks for that link to Gro's faq. I think I understand...his set up looks different than the kind where all the wires go to the one wheel type terminal. I want to do it just to improve the grounds the car has period. If I feel any differences that's great but I'm not expecting too much. If anything doing the install will help me become more familiar with the car. Any idea if the "daisy chain" method or the circular terminal method would be better? I found this too...looks to be basically the same idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LINEAGE- ... 0184950767

So you definately want to ground the transmission, the engine head, the neg bat. term, the right and left chassis, any other suggestions of which to ground? Which bolts should I not ground to?

Thanks guys.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

If you're facing the engine bay, on the right side of the valve cover, right above the distributor, is a small grounding point that I feel is important.
The wire that connects to the grounding point goes directly to the starter... If it's not grounded correctly, no start. I learned that the hard way.
I guess if you don't have starter issues, it's not a big deal, but my poor starter is a lot happier with basically a direct ground. In fact, instead of going "crank-crank" it gives a very distinctive sound. it says, "thank you."
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

would it be a good idea to go ahead and run a new ground wire for the neg. term on the battery as well? I know this sounds silly but once I disconnect the battery completely what areas should I look out for that have the possibility of still having some kind of current? If any. Thanks!
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

zombiechow wrote:would it be a good idea to go ahead and run a new ground wire for the neg. term on the battery as well? I know this sounds silly but once I disconnect the battery completely what areas should I look out for that have the possibility of still having some kind of current? If any. Thanks!
It defenitely wouldn't hurt, that's what I did. I actually went all out and opened up my engine harness and replaced the ground wires, then taped it back up nicely. 4 hours I'll never get back.

I wouldn't worry about the components holding charge. Touch your positive & negative battery terminals together ONCE THE BATTERY IS COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED to discharge any current.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
zombiechow

Post by zombiechow »

awesome. Thanks for the advice and reasurance.
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

You're crimping my style... heheheh

I noticed on the series of photos, that the crimp was made on the side with the split. I'm pretty sure the standard way of crimping is ot crimp on the back (opposite the split). Can anyone confirm this?

Eric
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I worked as a car audio installer at a local stero shop here in Winnipeg for two years, until about a year ago. I've always crimped the split side, as well as any other crimps I've seen.

I guess it doesn't matter much when it's covered with a boot or heat shrink tube.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
WhiteFinish

Re: Ground Wire kit

Post by WhiteFinish »

Sorry for putting this topic back on top but I've a question about the groundwire kit

I bought one of a local store here. This kit has 8 cables and 1 battery(pole) connector.
But here's the problem: My battery is relocated to the trunk.

In what way should I connect my ground wire kit ??
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Ground Wire kit

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

You will have to daisychain off of your main lead off of the battery. Being in the trunk will not really make a difference. one way or another, it goes to your engine bay. Take that initial ground point and bond everything to or from that point. You probably won't be using the ground wire with the batt terminal on it.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”