Yet another new guy here.....

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
psunitro

Yet another new guy here.....

Post by psunitro »

Well, I will be picking up this in a week or so
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... :IT&ih=013

The winner passed on it because the drivers seatbelt is really messed up. I will have to look at it to see what the issue is,but it's not just the recall stuff I think. The guy is VERY local and sold it to me for even less!! I have been looking over the forums, and they look to be very helpful, well done guys!!! :D

it will need at least a muffler,mabe i'll just do a cat back. What do you guys say is the best bang for the buck w/o sounding....hmmm....ricey? So doing a cat-back doesn't wake the 4cyl up much from what I have read, so would you use the same system for stock as you would a BP swap? (w/o turboing it)

This is going to be my work/play car then maybe be passed onto my son(15) so I dont need it to be fast at all.

Looking forward to a new type of car, I have been into VW's(watercooled) since before I could drive. they are still my 1st passion, but I really like the look of the MX-3 and want something...new...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Welcome to the board!
The first engine I ever built was a VW when I was 15.
I don't know anything about the I4s, but you'll find plenty of info in the search function!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Welcome.

I don't think you'd need any larger an exhaust with the BP. Your stock exhaust will be 1 7/8". I would not go any larger than 2" with either engine.

With the BP being a little bit bigger, the exhaust may bolt up to the exhaust manifold in a slightly different position. Nothing that a muffler shop couldn't easily take care of.

You will likely not find a bolt-on cat-back exhaust system for your car. What many people do is have a muffler shop bend one for them. They do them all day long, and it's very easy for them. Should not cost you any more than a few hundred for crush bends. I don't see mandrel bends as much or any of a benefit on such a small engine. (Assuming you go with 2" I.D.) Most 3-chamber mufflers will sound good. A fart-can cherry bomb will sound like...a fart-can, or a million angry bees confined to the space of a coffee mug.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
psunitro

Post by psunitro »

WOOT!!
Picked the car up last night. It is on OK condition for a $850 ride. I drove it to the local Walmart last night to get a little feel for it. The hole in the muffler was driving me NUTS!! So i just drove it, didnt get a feel for it.
Today, I took it up to the local muffler and lube shop. Figured since I lost my space to work on cars recently, I needed to get it fixed. They replaced the pipe over the axle, and the muffler. AHHHHH I can hear myself think again!

SO, now I can deffinitly hear the CV crunching! LOL, I figured it was that on the test drive, but was hard to tell. Boots torn, joint's bone dry. The brakes feel a little weak. going to drain and maybe put some new lines on. The body has one big dent, and some littler stuff. Dont know if i'll ever get around to fixing that soon.

Driving impressions? Not bad. I am used to sitting low and looking up at others, so that was no biggie. What I dont like is the seating. Just when I can get into a comfy spot with my legs and backrest, I have to "lunge" to shift! Either I have short arms...or something. So now i'm driving with my seat up further than I would like.
Is one short shift kit better than the others? Are they just reducing the length of the rod, or do they reduce throw?

I'll get some pics up this weekend!
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

The Pacesetter shifter seems to be a favorite. It's adjustable, so you can set the height that you prefer.

Pacesetter Short Shifter
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Highbody

Re: Yet another new guy here.....

Post by Highbody »

i just baught my mx-3 over the weekend.. after checking out with my mechanic i may be just using mine as a parts car... i think that its kinda funny.. our cars got hit in both the same spots but mine have a bunch more dings on it... Good luck with your car hopefully it gives you more back then my little investment did
psunitro

Post by psunitro »

Well that sucks! Well I will be investing a little more than I had hoped just to get it running like it should, but that is to be expected of a $850 car.
import_fan7
Supporting Member

Post by import_fan7 »

welcome to the forum good luck with your mx3
1995 MX3 RS - SOLD :(..... i will remain on this site!......hopefully buying a v6 mx3 spring 09!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”