k8 exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MgXs3

k8 exhaust

Post by MgXs3 »

i have a stock gs and im saving for a kl-ze. im looking for a exhaust set up for the k8 for now but i dont know what to get. can i get some help like what any of u guys with k8 are using. my ideas are mandrel bend from the y pipe and end with a obx or magnaflow muffler. or catback setup is a choice. thanks guys
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Re: k8 exhaust

Post by ScooterBovine »

Get a custom job from a muffler shop. 2.25" exhaust would be fine. Or the Pacesetter Monza exhaust. I hear they rust a lot, but mine has been going strong for the last 4 years or so. I still have it on my KLZE, too.
No more MX-3.
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

ANYONE? please
92 Blaze Red MAZDA Mx3 <GS> ZE, millenia manifold. gutted interior, filled mounts, fidanza fw, act 6puck.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

headers, 2.25 inch pipping, CAT, resonator and I would go with magnaflow muffler.

The longer you can get, the quieter.
"Quiet Muffler that will not Restrict ZE Performance" search for that topic.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

You got a response from Scooter, and didn't even acknowledge it. Your next post was "Anyone". Rather rude if you ask me. Those are basically your options. The Pacesetter which allegedly rusts, or custom bent from an exhaust/muffler shop. Roughly around 2.25" I.D. What else do you want to know?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

by no means was i trying to be rude, in my post i asked for anyones setup like what they had. I was looking for more opinions. Scooter if thats the way you interpreted it then my appologies to you.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Alot of people usually go with Magnaflow for CAT and resonator. Then they choose other types of mufflers. Flowmaster gets bad ratings though for being too loud. I guess its has something to do with the design being "straight through" :shrug:
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

what if i put a straight pipe with no cat and just a magnaflow muffler? would that sound ok or what about just a cat back setup.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Actually, the flowmaster 60 series is a 3-chamber muffler, not straight-through. Sounds very good. I think the round style mufflers fit a bit better though, since the stock muffler is round as well.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

MgXs3 wrote:what if i put a straight pipe with no cat and just a magnaflow muffler? would that sound ok or what about just a cat back setup.
You can take my advice here, or not, whatever. But when I built my exhaust, I read a lot of warnings that removing the resonator and/or cat, and running any muffler will cause the car to sound very raspy. I did it anyway. Ran 2" I.D. pipe from the exhaust mani to the over-axle pipe, then to Flowmaster 60 series. It sounds awesome unless you crank the throttle, then it gets this cheap, raspy, tinny, rattly sound. I believe it's from the lack of resonator.

I regret not taking that advice, so I just hope to prevent anyone else from making the same mistake.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

You want to CAT to get rid of the rasp and pass emissions that way Al Gore dosent try to kill you because he owns the internet and thinks he owns the world.

The resonator is good to keep the sound of the exhaust a lower and give it a deeper tone.
Without the Resonator, your exhaust is going to be LOUD.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

i think i have a good idea for what im goin to do. defenetly goin to use a resonator cuz i dont want to have a ricey exhaust. Thanks everyone!!
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Had 2.25" pipeing 30" resonator and flowmaster 40 series on mine and it sounded great.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
kanipimp

Post by kanipimp »

My exhaust was trial and error. Here's a brief history:
K8 with 2.25 mandrel bent cat back with strait through muffler = LOUD and obnoxious
ZE stock exhaust manifolds and Y pipes, same exhaust as before = loud but deeper/meaner
added pacesetter headers = REALLY LOUD
added resonated TP (no more CAT) and 24" glasspack, 40 series flowmaster = great sound, a little loud.
Same set up with left over stock muffler from my 300zxTT = quiet and smooth

Lesson learned - If you want the full on performance, your car's gonna be loud. Get some kind of restriction and give up the 3HP. It's worth it
From KL-ZE Strait neck KL31 MX3 to RHD 300zxTT
hharb

Post by hharb »

let me just say GET A RESONATOR lol... my was very loud without one, and get a quiet muffler as well. magnaflow isn't the best either, they're quite loud. I had magnaflow resonator and muffler on mine and the car was very loud.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”