ECU problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SmokeShow

ECU problems

Post by SmokeShow »

The ecu in mt 96 mx-3 is fried and i tried to swap it for a kl-36 which won't hook up to my harness. so i have the harness for the kl-36 which i found out wont hook up to my distributor. i could use some help on this one. its a 96(obd2) mx-3 KL-ZE
1995 MX-3 GS. KLZE
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: ECU problems

Post by umcamara »

When you had the K8 did you ever try using a code reader to verify that your car is actually OBD-II. My car's a '96. It has the OBD-II connector, but it doesn't allow me to pull codes. OBD-II was never required after '96 in Canada, just the U.S. I called a mazda dealership here, and the service manager couldn't see any reason why the Canadian Mx-3 would be redesigned for only 1 year of OBD-II production. He also couldn't tell me, via my VIN, whether it was or wasn't. So it's possible that the conncector is there, but just inactive. :rant2:

I know that doesn't really have anything to do with your problem, but oh well.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mx3optidrive

Re: ECU problems

Post by mx3optidrive »

It is obd2 because at the ecu there are 4 connectors not 3 like the obd1 systems.

I am trying to help him with this because he is just one town away from me, but I am not sure if the obd1 ecu to engine harness will match the connectors of the other 2 harnesses of the car. I read on probetalk that a few guys that did the harness swap had to change all 3 harness and we don't want to do that. :freak:

I seen on here that someone had a schematic or a list of what the pinout differences were between the obd1 and obd2 harnesses and how to change the pinout of the obd2 to make it obd1. If we could get that, we could just change a few pins and not have to pull the harness at all. :welder:

Any help on this would be great.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”