Tool Boxes

Off-Topic Discussions
Bochek

Tool Boxes

Post by Bochek »

Alright, so for x-mas this year i got some cash to put towards a new tool box.

so Today i went on the hunt.

Canadian Tire: Every one of the boxes here seemed cheep. The slides did not slide right. and the layout was less then useless. price ranged from $100 to $1000

Sears: Getting better, still most of the boxes had poor quality slides, and felt cheep. All the boxes that seemed okay where over $1000 and where covered in stainless steel and digital gizmo's that I'm just not looking for.

Costco: This was my final stop for the day, I looked at 2 different boxes there today, Well, actually one box, 2 different finishes. Very nice 41" wide box stamped with "mechanics edge" badging. It comes in either Stainless Steel or Black Texturized Powder coat. A neat feature was a pop out work surface rated at 100lbs. Good for doing your paperwork on, but by no means a work bench. The box was $649 for the stainless one and a little cheaper for the black one.

While i was there i also noticed that they had 2 more different boxes way up high on the shelf (but not on display) after asking a few employee's I was assured that they will have them on display for me tomorrow. (one of these 2 boxes is the one that tunes67 already reviewed)

As of right now i am leaning towards the black powder coated mechanics edge box. Its not the quality of a snap-on box but the price is right. But tomorrow i will take a trip back to take a look at the other 2 boxes and make a final decision.

So this brings me to my question:
Does anyone have a toolbox that they love, and would like to tell me about. Before i go buy one.

- Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

i have a master craft maximum tool box i its not the huge one but the next biggest one. i actually have no complaints on it. its good quality and well ive had it for 4 years and well i need to get rid of it so i can have all my tools in the tool box.

a buddy of mine bought a tool box from costco and he says he likes it but he says he finds somethings made cheap on it. his doesnt have the ball bearing rollers and he says he wishes he had that.

another guy at work just got this really nice tool box from napa. he paid 1200 for the bottom part but serioiusly it is worth every single penny. this thins is huge.

try looking at napa also if you have one near you cuz im sure you could find a really nice box there.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Mine is a craftsman. Gota ita few years ago. its pretty much the same size as the one Tunes67 reviewed last year but a bit different and not stainless steel. I have no problems with the thing and it works perfectly for what i need it for. But its your choice to what you chose to buy and depends on how you want to set up your tools.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I have craftsman, had it for a while now. it stores most of my tools, except big stuff like floor jack of course. Only thing I wish I'd rather have is ball bearing. Sometimes I just have to struggle with some sliders, cause I have some rather heavy tools.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I'm pretty sure the big black Mastercraft Maximum boxes have ball-bearing drawers. Did you see those ones? I know some Canadian Tires are poorly merchandised...
Cody
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Yes i did see thoes ones (the euro style boxes) and they do advertise ball bearings, but after closer inspection, the balls ride on a teflon type material wich slides on the metal rails, so it seams that that it only slides out half way on ball bearings and the other half on a friction slide, seems kinda cheezy.

Not only that but the price on thoes boxes is $1000 for both pieces, where this costco one i am looking at is 640 for both, and seems to be of higher quality.

- Bochek
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I have been pretty pleased with my tool box from costco. There is only 1 thing of minor note that is slightly annoying about it. When you have stuff in the drawers.. and pull a drawer all the way out.. the drawer will start to slide back in on its own about 1/3 of the way closed. There should be a drawer lock on the drawers that when you pull it all the way out.. it hitches in place until pushed back in. They are all ball bearing drawers though and slide nicely even with 100lbs of tools in the drawer.

One other thing you can do.. if you dont mind buying used.. Check pawn shops & your local craigslist. I often see big time tool boxes from Snapon & Matco selling at 1/2 cost.. especially around income tax time. Dunno if you canucks have something like income tax up there.. but if you do.. thats when its a good time to check out local publications & pawn shops for big ticket items. People buy the high priced stuff.. and then when they cant afford to pay their taxes.. they sell the stuff off at sometimes ridiculously low prices.. good time of year to buy engines too ;) On Craigslist, Buy & Sell, Little Nickel, etc.. I often see built engines of all sorts with reciepts.. balanced, blueprinted.. etc.. selling for 1/3 cost around tax time ;) Just a couple of thoughts. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Re: Tool Boxes

Post by mr1in6billion »

My Buddy (a mechanic) has a big craftsman toolbox and I've always though it was pretty nice. It has locking drawers and they slide really nice. He also has a snap-on one, which is pretty close in comparison to the craftsman. I plan to get a toolbox soon, probably a craftsman in the 700-800 range.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I've got the black Craftsman Proffessional from Sears. I spent quite some time researching different boxes, and other than the Snap-on ones, I liked this one the best. It's not the cheap base Craftsman line, but the Proffesional line. It's got very smooth ball-bearing sliders, and is the perfect height if you're about 5' 9" like I am.

The top and bottom together cost about $800. The only thing I don't like is that the drawers have some safety feature where they don't just slide open. You have to give the drawer a bit of a jerk. Supposed to prevent all the drawers from opening, and knocking over the chest. If you don't get the good sticky drawer liners, this will cause your hand tools to slide around whenever you open the drawers. Pain in the A*#

Other than that, awesome tool-chest.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

I have a high-end ~10yr old Craftsman on wheels and seems pretty solid quality. Bought locally last year for $125 USD from Craigslist, in xlent cond. Seller was relocating long distance and taking his tools but shipping the toolbox was apparently not worth it. Might be worth checking used before dropping a grand+ on something new. Depends on funds I guess.
Image -Jim
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Well tomorow morning i am going to purchase one very similar to what toons reviewed earlier, i believe made by the same company, it might even be the same box.

Needless to say it is $800 a good chunk of cash, but the best deal i found so far.

- Bochek
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

Just a quick picture, protective wraping is stil on the box.

Return to “Off-Topic”