fixing wireless connection

Off-Topic Discussions
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

fixing wireless connection

Post by mitmaks »

My wireless shows that Im connected to the network but I can't surf the internet or use Yahoo messenger etc. I have good signal. Im not sure what the problem is. I've restarted it, reinstalled wireless, etc. but still doesnt work.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

try this it usually fixes mine

Try 1st:
Start>Run> type "cmd" enter>type "ipconfig /release" enter (it'll do its lil thing) then type "ipconfig /renew" enter. this will basically release your connections then reconnect them.

Try 2nd:
If that doesn't work and try flashing your network (via router in other words turned it off for 30 seconds, also make sure you do the modem as well turn it off for 30 seconds then plug the modem in 1st wait till all lights are green, then plug the router back in) * this is a common pain in the @$$ problem that usually causes the issue, especially if your on cable, we have to do this at least once or twice a week.

Try 3rd:
If those don't work you could try to reset the router, by looking at the back you'll see a littlle button press and hold for 15 seconds (while router is off) this will reset the router to factory settings (if you do this YOU WILL LOOSE ALL SETTINGS previously setup by you or your network guy)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

i do not have a router, I just use a wi-fi card on my laptop or desktop.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

then doing the 1st step is the only option i can suggest, as i dont use wifi except when i'm broadcasting from my own router
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

1st off, you have to have a router. This is where your wireless signal comes from. If you have a good signal, make sure that you are connected to "your" network and not someone elses. This can be done by double checking your SSID or network name. If you are connected and not able to surf... etc. You need to release and renew the IP of the router. Pending on the type of router you have, this may just be as easy as turing the power off for a few seconds and then back on. One more option.. if you can surf but cannot access some places/ apps. Check the firewall settings of the router. This can be done by logging into your router and checking off the apps that you will be using and setting up "ports" for their use. If you do not know how to log into your router, you must first find the address of the router. This is done by going into your dos prompt and tying " ipconfig/all " this will give you lots of info. your router should be shown and the address. It should be something like 192.168.1.0 ... this is all pending on the make and or model of router you are using. Dlink, Linksys 2Wire... etc.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, not clear enough etc. I'm a Network tech and should be able to get you going.

EDIT****

Would your wifi card be like an aircard? You only grab the signal, you do not provide the source? If that is the case, uninstall the aircard drivers, restart your computer and try again.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I have Atheros AR5004G wireless network adapter. It simply grabs signal and thats what I use for internet browsing other when its now working, like right now. Then Im using slowwwww dial-up.
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Your using a laptop with a wireless ethernet card? If your using a router in your house, yeah, rebooting the router fixes alot of problems. Now, if your using your neighbors signal, you can't do that. What I do when I install mine is go to the brand names website and download the latest driver for it. I had a big problem with netgear, it would be connected, but not get me online. It had a problem with XP, so after getting the latest driver, fine after that.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

lol your simply using a wireless network card lol, somewhere near you there is a wifi signal being broadcasted from a router, or repeater thats bouncing a signal from a router. Do you live in apartments, do they provide you with free wifi?(if you do then you need to contact them and ask why you cant connect)

Do you pay for your internet service other than the dial up lol? If not do you live in a neighborhood with houses close by? because Now it sounds like you've got a neighbor who's not to smart and has allowed there router to be open to anyone who can connect lol. In other words your stealing internet service :) Just because you have use wifi doesn't mean the internet is free, our neighbors all around our houses leave there networks unsecured all the time its funny to see what they have on there machines, we sometimes even leave them notes.

in short, if you don't have a modem, you don't have a router, and you don't live in an area that is legally providing you with wifi, your using internet service from someone else and they've probably caught on to you and secured the network.

Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

the person your grabbing the signal from probably has MAC filtering enabled., You can connect, but no browsing :)

OR
try this too..
goto your DOS prompt in windows and type this

PROXYCFG -D
hharb

Re: fixing wireless connection

Post by hharb »

ok, i hope i understood whats goin on, u basically have a satellite wireless card if the problem is intermittent, it could be that the coverage in your area is a little bad at the moment or you might be getting some interference from something in your house. if its not, i suggest uninstalling your network card drivers and reinstall the newest ones u can find online. this type of issue is harder to troubleshoot since there is no router involved, calling your isp might help too
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

the card he listed isn't a broadband card its just your typical wireless network card

hharb

Post by hharb »

yeah if you still need help you need to post more details, i hope your issue is resolved by now
neutral
Supporting Member

Re:

Post by neutral »

Custommx3 wrote:the person your grabbing the signal from probably has MAC filtering enabled., You can connect, but no browsing :)
Sounds likely. You need to check what your card "sees" and find a neighbor's network that is more wide open so's to hijack a totally free ride. Or... need to get a router and connect to yer own broadband connection. Free ride is def cheaper but not as reliable lol.
Image -Jim
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nadia>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.wa.comcast.net.
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Nadia>

You guys see anything wrong with it?
hharb

Post by hharb »

ok this looks fine... try this and let me know what you get..
in comand prompt type this

ping 192.168.1.1

ping http://www.dell.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(there is no http before the www. it's added by default here so when u type make sure not to type it in so www. dell.com)

let me know what you get, those are two seperate comands btw. if you get 4 replies from each you probably have good internet connection but you have something bloacking you like a firewall or something. you could always try system restore it might help a big deal. if you need any more help don't hesitate to ask, after all my engine blew and i got nothing to do :P

Return to “Off-Topic”