Get the KLDE NOW or KLZE LATER?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

What do you think is the best option?

Poll ended at December 30th, 2007, 8:52 pm

Save for the KLZE, let the car sit until then. Better late than never!
43%
Go for the KLDE, its cheap, and it will get you started
57%

Total votes: 7

murdamellz

Get the KLDE NOW or KLZE LATER?

Post by murdamellz »

Hey guys just wanted to get some feedback here. I have a 1992 GS mazda, with the infamous k8 engine. Its running on 5 cylinders (blown head gasket or something) and I can't afford a KLZE right this minute, but I know a guy selling a MX-6 for parts, the whole car for 250, it is wrecked, and I'm not sure how many miles he has on it, but for what it's worth, 250 for a KL-DE (it is the kL-DE in the mx-6 right?) And extra parts is not bad right? Basically my question is should I Save the 250 and put it towards the KLZE? I"m not sure wheN i'll have the money yet, maybe mid next year or maybe march next year, but NOT right now..Or should I get that KLDE, throw it in, and at least ride it for the time being? Considering labor costs, stuff like that, and the fact that this will be my first 5 speed car, what do you think? Your responses always go appreciated!! OH and Thanks to Fernando for the carbon fiber hood!
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Labour costs will always get you. I'd spend some time learning about our cars and how to fix them. That way once you've gained more technical knowledge you can make an informed decision on what kind of set-up you want. Try diagnosing why your K8 is running on 5 cylinders and seeing if you can fix it yourself or with help of friends/this forum. Save your spare cash while you're at it. Then when you're ready you can more easily afford to install your engine, and maybe even do it yourself!
Cody
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Right this minute I would do alot of unpleasant stuff for a $250 MX-6. If you have the means to do the work, like a friends garage and the help you need, I would absolutely go for it. The DE is a very straight foreward swap, and a decent running drivetrain for $250, especially when you currently don't have one, would be hard for me to pass up.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
murdamellz

Sounded better than it was

Post by murdamellz »

Update on the KLZE/KLDE situation, after talking to the guy, it seems it has a valve cover gasket leak (as far as he knows, that is it) but the engine has roughly 190,000 miles or more on it, he said it runs great BUT if I'm going to spend the money on an engine, it won't have that many miles on it lol. He made it sound great, and hey it is a good deal for a parts car, but I needed the engine first and foremost. If anyone was interested in parts off it, if I got offered enough for the parts and the time to part it out, I would get it just to get you guys some cool stuff(whatever is interchangeable from mx6/mx3, i have no clue) Let me know tho, just a thought. The car is wrecked, interior is great, everything else is there, hood is crushed frame is bent.
exile84

Post by exile84 »

From my experience, doing a motor swap is very easy. If you have just the smallest hinkling of knowledge about cars, you can do the motor swap yourself. Don't pay someone for something that you can do yourself... If you have to, Take pics of the engine before you pull it. That way you can look at the way the wires, and connectors were. Just get like some ziplock bags and put your bolts in it and mark what/ where they came from. :) Oh and I would get the DE for the moment being. 250 is not a bad price at all....
1992 Mx-3 GS. ATX to MTX swap. Integra short throw shifter, and CAI. HEI mod. Accell Canister. 3A racing muffler. Straight pipe.
ImageImageImage
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I dont know what the big deal on the klze is, my millenia ze with bolt ons when it was n/a had around 168 -9ish wheel horses and like 160 torque.

I say get a klde and turbo it w00.

klze is nice of course dont get me wrong, but if capital is not good at the moment. Get a de then the ze later.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Highbody

Post by Highbody »

if you have other ways to get around and save some money why not just do that and then do the swap to the klze... your gonna spend a bunch of money to swap the other engine in and then swap it out spending more money in the process ding belts and gaskets

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”