ATTENTION ALL DO IT YOURSELFERS- QUESTION

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
murdamellz

ATTENTION ALL DO IT YOURSELFERS- QUESTION

Post by murdamellz »

Without much mechanical knowledge (just common sense and tools) What are the parts on our cars that are straight forward to replace, remove, or adjust - i.e. engine parts, axels, struts, tie rods, seats, whatever- just trying to get a good idea of what you need a mechanic to do and what you can do yourself and save money on labor. This will help a lot of people save money on workin on their cars, and not being afraid to tinker with their car in order to learn more (to a certain extent, wouldn't want your car to collapse because you put the axels or struts on incorrectly) 8)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

it really depends on each persons experience/knowledge. Some guys can take apart an engine but can't do brakes, and some guys can do brakes and body work but can't swap an engine, etc. Mx-3's are pretty much straight-forward to work on and pretty simple. I do all the maintenance myself, haven't taken tranny.engine apart yet.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

I'm a do-it-yourselfer. I learn hands on, with this site and a haynes book. I think mechanically, you can do it all. I think stuff like bodywork, you need to be taught.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Most of the suspension is pretty doable, especially shocks, springs, end links, rear swaybar, and good number of bushings. If you got strut tower bars, they're cake. Axles/seals are pretty doable, although refilling the thranny is clumsy. Brakes/rotors are fairly straight-forward. Under the hood - distributor, intake system, starter, timing belt, oil filter, fuel filter, battery, motor mounts, belts, most sensors, some of the electrical stuff is simple: relays, fuses (wiring can be tricky but doable if you got schematics), vacuum hoses, thermostat. Interior trims and dash are usually easy to remove/replace, as well as seats. Mirrors are simple. Radio and speakers are simple. ECU is simple. Exhaust is simple as long as you got the direct bolt-in and don't need to cut/weld anything. Wheels/tires are obviously cake. Headlights, taillights and markers are doable. Bumpers are doable.

Keeping in mind the car isn't new some of the replacement parts might be tricky to come by, and quality aftermarket parts aren't that abundant either. On the bright side, since the car is old, almost all of the research has been done by others and all you have to do is search the forum.

Overall a combination of this forum, a manual, a buddy to help you out, and reasonable tools should take care of most jobs without requiring much technical/mechanical knowledge.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

The only things I can't do to my mx-3 is alignment and changing tires on rims/balancing.

I couldn't install my exhaust either because I had no lift or the welding skill.

I have not done any internal engine/tranny work.

Everything else I have done/can do myself, mostly without air tools (cause I don't have any):D
MgXs3

Post by MgXs3 »

Yeha i would say its all about the knowledge you have. It also is helpful to get a chiltons repair manual then you can learn more about the task.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I think you're trying to hit too many birds with one stone.... Stay with us on the site and post when you realize what you need to work on, and we'll try to help you through it. (Donate!)
Cody
murdamellz

Post by murdamellz »

[quote="tehbrookzorz"]I think you're trying to hit too many birds with one stone.... Stay with us on the site and post when you realize what you need to work on, and we'll try to help you through it. (Donate!)[/quote]

acknowledged. I'll be starting soon, its good to have a basis of information before you begin.
murdamellz

Post by murdamellz »

Thanks guys again for all your responses and help and ---Happy Holidays---!
:D

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”