New Guy Here

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
nate2k5

New Guy Here

Post by nate2k5 »

hi, just picked up a Chaste White 94 MX-3 RS last night so i figured I would join up to learn more about it and maybe get help with some of its problems.

i picked it up for $400 with 149k miles and the interior and exterior look to be in pretty good shape. the shortcomings of the car is that it seems to have a blown headgasket, thats what the seller told me.

hers the symptoms, starts up runs fine. after about 15 minutes of driving it starts to overheat. the guy said he had it checked out and the headgasket and water pipe were recommended to be replaced. do these seem like plausible explanations? if so is there a writeup on replacing them?

thanks!
2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

Yes, it could definetly be a head gasket and water pump. It also could be a cracked head, and a few other things. Most people here were tell you just to do an engine swap. Put a BP in. The engine will cost you $200-400. About the same as taking it in a shop. But it all depends on if you want to do the swap. Plus, you'll have alot more power.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

thanks for the reply, that could be an option down the road but for right now i just want to get it fixed asap so i can park my integra for winter

the kid said he thought it blew right around or after he put too much oil in it, could this actually cause it, i wasn't sure.

i'm not a n00b to all car talk, i'm just more knowledgeable with hondas
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

What does the exhaust (gases) look and smell like? Odd colour smoke? Smells almost sweet? (stop smelling if you are getting sleepy)
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

hmm, well i really didn't check them too much time to look at it. from the guy's account it definitely sounded like the headgasket. i know black for oil and white and sweet smelling, i won't have access to the car for a couple weeks while i am back home for christmas break
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

heres some pics, as you can see its realy dirty but the body is in really good shape. i plan on removing the pinstriping and side graphics asap.

freakin sweet :?

nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

well just ordered a timing belt kit, water pump, and head gasket set so hopefully that will take care of it :roll:
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Check the compression of the motor. That will tell you if its a bad head gasket. If the compression is fine, then you can start checking other things that would lead it to over heat, thermostat, waterpump, clogged radiator or block etc.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
nate2k5

Post by nate2k5 »

ok i'll get a compression check done when i go back to school where its at. would the chance be very high that the head is warped? it runs fine and only starts getting hot after 15 minutes or so of driving
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Hard to say, it depends how long it has been run when the temp gets well past operating temperature. Aluminum heads will warp though if over heated badly.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”