Your suggestions? (intereior painting)

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Dark_Rider2k3

Your suggestions? (intereior painting)

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I am trying to decide what colors to paint my interior.

the exterior is going to be painted blue, with a green/gray dragon on both sides.

I am going to have some gray carpeting put in (like a metallic i think..), but I'm trying to decide what color to paint the interior (it's a 92 btw).]

So far what I think is the dash is going to be blue, and the trim pieces will be a mixture of either green or gray. I just wonder how good a blue dash would look..

what are your thoughs?

oh, and lol i'm dreading taking out my dash.. there are tons of screws, i'm going to be afraid of losing them LOL

oh, and on the subject of this, I know what to paint to use on the trim pieces, but what do I use on the rest of the dash? My friend tried his, but the paint he used is peeling off haha... it looks ugly now
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

I vote that you dont put a dragon on the side, but it is your car so thats just my opinion. Paint the interior the same color as the majority of your outside color. I have an SE that the previous owner did that to and it looked ok. Just dont get too carried away otherwise you run the risk of ricin out your interior.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
Mx3Baker

Post by Mx3Baker »

well if you really need to paint your dash your going to have to wash it very very well because whoever you bought that car from and maybe even you have put armorall on it and that i like motor oil sitting on your dash and it soaks in tats the reason your friends paint is peeling i would think.
93 Mx-3 GS
5 SPD Conversion

Worklog at
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=54796" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

http://vamp.darkravers.net/cpg/index.php?cat=11

in the appearance FAQ there is a link to some DIY and this is found if you look around on that page.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
Hoodzy

Post by Hoodzy »

black and gray.... colour is sooooo tacky!!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/hoodzy13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.id-studio.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.behance.net/CollinH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1995 Creek Mica Blue GS
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

haha I know it's going to make my car look ricey.. but I feel it will be done right, and well.. I just have a big thing for dragons lol

thanks for the heads up on washing the pieces.. I will also sand it down to make sure it's all off :wink:

thanks guys for the comments.. I know which paints to get now, and I think i'll start on it sometime soon..

I'm going to go with a green for the vents, and other plastic pieces, and when I do get to the vinyl part of the dash, i'll see what to do (but most likely it's going to be a blue.. maybe even stay black.. not sure as of yet..
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

sk8erdude802 wrote:I vote that you dont put a dragon on the side, but it is your car so thats just my opinion. Paint the interior the same color as the majority of your outside color. I have an SE that the previous owner did that to and it looked ok. Just dont get too carried away otherwise you run the risk of ricin out your interior.

Steve-O
you must not have seen that he already has a dragon on the spoiler :roll:

and FYI dark rider don't get frustrated if you get unfavorable opinions on the color scheme you are suggesting along with the fact that most of us would never put dragons on our mx-3... but you asked for suggestions so be prepared. IMO if it looks good to you do it for you and not anybody else!

on another note my dash used to be brown and I painted it black... it's been on there for 2 years with no issues. I didn't even take the dash out to paint it... just unbolted it and leaned it forward and covered everything in the car lol - worked ok for me :D I have just used soap and water to clean it and I have not used any armor all type products on it...

this is the paint I used from walmart...

Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

yup that's what I got from Wal-mart as well (though not in satin)

i'm posting pics here shortly of the work so far.. i gotta say guys I love the color scheme i did!!

lol though Moon saw my somewhat crappy dragon... when my car goes in for the exterior paint, that dragon will most likely be gone.... I have a much better dragon being painted on the sides, which i'll show later... that, however, will not be done until next spring..

btw, has anyone ever painted the actual dash (not the trim peices), and if so, what paint do you use on it?

thanks again everyone!!
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Just wanted to show you all how it's coming along. I stopped for the winter, so when the summer time rolls around, i'll rip out the whole dash and work on it :wink:

I have another image of the steering wheel area and the HVAC vents, but it's on my sisters camera so if you want to see them then lemme know and i'll post them.

Also, those pictures (which even amazes me) were taken from my camera phone...
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

is that BEARSKIN on the seats?!! :shock:
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Mooneggs wrote:is that BEARSKIN on the seats?!! :shock:

nah... but I wonder what it would be like to have bearskin seats...
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

ok first off, do NOT paint your interior. You use a vinyl dye. VHT makes a good product, and dupicolor does too. Any paint you put on can and will peel. A dye will not. It's basically the same price and the same procedure. Use a Thinner to clean everything first.

FYI

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinyl.html
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

thanks for the heads up, but I was almost certain that these pieces I painted were plastic and not vinyl...
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

they are probably vinyl. Either way, if you use a paint on any interior surface... do not expect it to take any abuse. Dye is different
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

i'm not going to knock you on painting your interior as mine is painted as well. it was cleaned very well and the guy before me used duplicolor white. it only has one scratch on it that is not very noticable. However, i want to tell you DO NOT SAND it down. you will mess up the texture and the paint will show spots if the light hits it just right. Just clean it very well with soap and water.

Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot

Return to “Appearance”