Swap Gone Crazy

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ProjekMX3
Supporting Member

Swap Gone Crazy

Post by ProjekMX3 »

What up folks long time no post. Heres the deal I recently bout a 92 mx-3 gs. Long story short it came with an engine fresh from Japanese Engines Inc. (Don't do business with them....sell on ebay and jdmenginesinc.com). Anyway I thought my swap was gonna be easy just drop it in and drive. Well the good news is my motor is very clean and very new. After doing some research on it I believe it to be similiar to a 99 millenia except there is no egr. After taking some of it apart it looks like the mileage is below 30k. Anyway heres my problem because my motor is so new some of the sensors do not match my stock mx3 harness. Actually only two of them don't fit one of which is the knock sensor which is diamond shaped instead of flat and oval. The other one is the Crank Sensor which I just can't seem to find on the motor. My plan is to go to my local U Wrench It and Cut the connector from a PGT or MX-3 GS and replace my diamond connector with the one that fits the stock harness. As for the crank sensor i'm hoping i'll find it tomorrow (and that it will fit) Anyway any help would be appreciated. I can be contacted via AIM: Projekmx3 or email n3street@wmich.edu.
92 GS, 210 psi per cylinder KL-101 Engine, Pacesetter Exhaust, Centerforce DF, CAI, Hi Flow Cat, Headers.
By Spring 06: Megasquirt and FPR
By Fall 06: KL-31 Heads with Interprep Cams
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

No crank angle sensors on the ZE's either. That's why my ecu throws codes. My soon to arrive KL31 ecu should sort that issue out since it won't be looking for crank angle sensor info any more.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

it will look for the crank sensor, the crank sensor reads the points on the pulley, thats also what tells the fuel pump tp work AND it even still uses the cam angle sensor in the disty, so where does it not need them? my KL-ZE had all these sensors and i throw no codes with my KL-DE ECU
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Mine didn't have a crank angle either. I just threw on the one from my K8. I knew it couldn't hurt.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
BornSticky

Post by BornSticky »

i have the same engine and did the swap i have codes right now cause im working on the ecu still using k8 but i took the crank sensor from old engine there shoud be a little plastic cap where it can go and for the knock sensor i cut it put the yellow to the red and grounded the black to the motor. The other sensors you wont have are of course the egr i believe there are 3 and of course the temp sensor unless you drilled and tapped it and put your old one in already.

Dont loose this sensor there like 65 bucks in canada...... :roll: yes i did......
92 Mazda MX-3 KL-ZE Curve Neck, Probinator ECU, Full 2.5" exhaust with headers, cai, performance radiator, millenia alternator, 5spd, excedy stage 2 clutch, MTX 12" sub sony explod D series 600w amp, pioneer 260w deck, kyb on dropzone springs, HEI mod.
92 Mazda RX-7 (efini) FD3S urethane motor mount, Air intake, 18" Chrome rims besides that stock. SOLD!
93 Mazda MX-3 GS laguna blue full exhaust, cai, kyb shocks R.I.P. stupid jeep driver!
#5389 to join MX-3.com
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Wow this is an old thread, But weather your ze cam with a crank angle sensor or not you will still need to swap it over from the original k8.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

You should be able to switch over everything from your k8 and not have any problems. Switch the crank sensor over from the k8, and also switch over the coolant pipe that runs between the two heads because you will get the correct amount of coolant sensors, without having to drill or tap. I like to think of the swap as just pulling out the k8 and replacing with another k8, only its different internally. So take what you have right now and make it work with the new ze.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

1992blazeredgs wrote:You should be able to switch over everything from your k8 and not have any problems. Switch the crank sensor over from the k8, and also switch over the coolant pipe that runs between the two heads because you will get the correct amount of coolant sensors, without having to drill or tap. I like to think of the swap as just pulling out the k8 and replacing with another k8, only its different internally. So take what you have right now and make it work with the new ze.

Nate
you are right about the coolant sensors. Some klze's have the 3rd sensor and some don't. so it depends, you might get lucky, but its not hard to swap that coolant filler neck over to the new motor. And on another hand 94+ mx3's don't have the 3rd sensor for the fans so its not an issue usually!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Maybe you do have a real klze, my millenia ze did have a crank angle sensor.. i know because when iw as doing the underdrive pulley shave.. it was there.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”