Belt Problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
VizualXTC

Belt Problems

Post by VizualXTC »

I have a question. When I start my engine my belts squeel. I figure I just need a new belt or some belt conditioner. BUT they squeel every time I get on the gas from idle. Even when I slow down from high speeds to idle it will squeek a little. Is this normal for a worn belt to do? I'm a little worried that maybe one of my pulleys may have either seized or have some resistance. Please help. thanks.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Maddbuck

Re: Belt Problems

Post by Maddbuck »

Mine does the same but only on startup. I got rid of it by adjusting the tensioners to tighten the belts. It last about a week and then started to come back. Someone suggested to change the belts but mine are only a year old. I know mine is the A/c belt and I will get under there again sometime and tighten it more. If that doesn't work then I guess I need new belts. hope that helps a bit. :)
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Tighten them with a 10mm wrench, according to the manual. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Most people have told me to tighten the belts. As soon as I get a little breathing time I will get under there and do that. Thanks for your replies.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Buff1110
Supporting Member

Post by Buff1110 »

i actually solved my problem with the belts squeeking by purchasing oem belts from mazda. the oem ones are thicker and i havent had any problems since. before the mazda belts i went through 3 different sets.<BR>Dan
Dan
92 Mx-3 Gs, KLZE Powered!! - SOLD!!!!
02 Tacoma TRD - Daily
93 Honda del Sol - New Project
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

yea I have that squeeking problem right now and my belts r brand new. it started out it would just squeek a lil on start up, the i tightened it and it went away. once the cold weather rolled in it squeeks alot now. I have loosened it- tightened it, n called it all kinds of names. Dont ever buy gator belts im gonna say get the mazda belt because everyone seems to have great luck with mazda belts....
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

did we need to resurect a 6 year old post? Ryan isnt even on the board anymore lol
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
crammia

Belt Problems

Post by crammia »

I had this on as well - turned out to be 'inferior' quality belts, plus tension.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”