EBAY 2 way alarm + remote starter

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cabriolet

EBAY 2 way alarm + remote starter

Post by cabriolet »

Hey guys,
I am wondering if you guys have every bought these 2 way alarm/ remote starters from ebay. I am wanting to get one, these look decent for the price but wonder if they are good or not??

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Way-Pager-LCD-Rem ... dZViewItem

[/url]
Last edited by cabriolet on November 27th, 2007, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------
* White 92 MX3 GS * +bone stock K8+ NGK Iridium Plugs + 10.2mm Iridium wires + RAZO shift knob + 8000K HID kit + grant steering wheel [wtb] white fenders
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

bumpbump
* White 92 MX3 GS * +bone stock K8+ NGK Iridium Plugs + 10.2mm Iridium wires + RAZO shift knob + 8000K HID kit + grant steering wheel [wtb] white fenders
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

has any body got any 2 way remote starter from ebay? or know anywhere cheaper than compustar?
matt753

Post by matt753 »

I Have my NuStart one, which is the same as compustar from what I hear. I wouldn't trust some of the ones on eBay, just invest in a good one from the start. Plus, it is a very big task to install them (took them several hours to do mine), especially if its a manual transmission.
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

Ya I was thinking also, but just want to watch my budget also, hoping I could get away with a decent alarm on ebay
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

That system is old technology which is probably why it is being dumped on Ebay. I've got an Autostart directly from one of the R&D guys over there. At the time it was in pre-market beta testing. Never had a problem with it and have a range of over a block even in high RF interferance areas the production units have been improved slightly since the beta models. Also the MTX safety interlock has never failed yet.
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

cool
so diff opinions
me still left undecided :shock:
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

I work at future shop in the car audio install bay. We do alot of starters in there and the ones that seem to be the most reliable are the nordic starts. We never have problems with them. The nustart is TERRIBLE. The remote is guaranteed to lose programming with the brain and then it needs to be reprogrammed. The best starter/alarm combo probally is something like a viper or some other known brand name.

Sometimes people bring in these starters they get off ebay and want us to install them. We actually will not do it because it is guaranteed to give you trouble. Youll be all day trying to get the damn thing to setup properly. Go with brand name stuff man. Nordic starts are like 70 bucks from Futureshop and you can do it yourself if you dare. The mx is a simple car to put a starter in. I could have one of those done in about 40 minutes.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

serious?

ya I was thinking that ll prolly be the case
I am kinda leaning to getting a compustar one, same as nustar i heard?
But this one is the new 2007 one, havent done much research into it , is it anygood?
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

All the ones we put in are new models. Ive seen a ton of them come back for the programming issue they have. It could be that during summer when it dosent get used for an extended period of time it just loses it.

Theyre not too bad besides the programming thing.

heres what I think is the best to worst.. (from what im familar with)

viper alarm/starter
Nordic start (Autostart) starter
compustar alarm/starter
nustart starter

the compustar will be allright, it might have the issue. Its not too bad to reprogram though, just a pain in the a--.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

go viper!goviper!go viper!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I installed a viper in my car and a few of my buddies car and can vouch that they are great alarms. The amount of control they give you is amazing, the programing options number in the 30+ range, even on their lower end units. They never lose their programming, even if they sit unattached. Most importantly, they have plenty of documentation on installing and programming the unit. I can also confirm that their range is 1000+ feet in direct sight. They are pricey, but well worth it.

I've only seen 1 ebay alarm and it was pretty bad. I don't think it had any extra outputs other than a trunk release, the documentation and wire guide was a joke, and there were no programing options.
cabriolet

Post by cabriolet »

wow , thats pretty interesting to hear viper comes out number 1.
I got fooled by compustar's nice looking lcd remotes lol

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”