"Squishy" Chirp sound from Cargo Area?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

I am begining to think the problem is "Old car".... <<Sigh>>
93 GS SE
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Ha. I am too. I am going to keep everybody updated if I can locate the actual problem within the future.
SSR Mx-3: Custom CAI, custom 2.25 Magnaflow Exhaust (high-flow cat, resonator, & muffler), Genie 4-1 Header, Tokico Blue Struts, H&R Lowering Springs, Corksport front and rear Strut Bars, SSR Competition Wheels (11 lbs), Corksport Short-Shifter, KVR Slotted Front Rotors w/ KVR Carbon FIber Break Pads.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."- C.S. Lewis
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Ok, I know that this post is getting old but, I just got the Dynamat installed in my car (Both doors, both rear quater panels, both rear wheel wells, and everywhere else in the trunk). It definitely cut down the road noise ,possibly by 60%, and all of the other annoying squeeks and chirps coming from the rear cargo area. BUT, the rear is still having that annoying chirp everytime I go over a bump mildly fast. It isn't as dramatic as it was at a time, but it is still noticable. I am seriously starting to believe that it has something to do with the strut or strut assembly....

Has anybody figured anything out about this problem yet?
SSR Mx-3: Custom CAI, custom 2.25 Magnaflow Exhaust (high-flow cat, resonator, & muffler), Genie 4-1 Header, Tokico Blue Struts, H&R Lowering Springs, Corksport front and rear Strut Bars, SSR Competition Wheels (11 lbs), Corksport Short-Shifter, KVR Slotted Front Rotors w/ KVR Carbon FIber Break Pads.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."- C.S. Lewis
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Are you sure it's not coming from under the car? Have you checked your swaybar bushings and muffler mounts?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I just finished replacing my struts and I have picked up a noise which is much like what you all are describing in this thread. I think the upper strut mounts need lube. I think it the spring squeeking against the rubber of the upper strut mount. It's not a problem in the front because of the strut bearings.

That's what I think. The rears are easy, you don't even need a compression tool for the Eibach springs to assemble the struts. I'm gonna take em apart and lube them this weekend.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

I am pretty sure that it isn't my sway bar bushings. The noise sounds like it is coming from the inside of the car. The Dynamat anyways would make it nearly impossible to hear the squeek from that part anyways. I am also positive that it isnt my muffler mounts.

It sounds more logical that the strut mounts would be the problem. WYTBISHOP, can you get back to us once you lube them this weekend?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i used to have the same squeaking syndrome as your describing. I changed my struts, struts mount bushings, and mounts and now the squeaking has gone away. So i think your problem lies somewhere in that area. Are you getting alot of clunking as well from the back end? My struts were so shot that u could pick up the strut and it would just drop with no resistance. if you turn it upside down liquid would pour out when you would pump the strut.

so just my opinion would be just have a look at your rear struts. It doesnt take too long. keep in mind that you can remove the strut bolt so that the strut can come out just by undoing the bolt and slowly jacking up the car. the weight of the back end keeps the spring compressed.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
SSR Mx-3

Re: "Squishy" Chirp sound from Cargo Area?

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

I just replaced all of my struts with the Tokico Blues and it seems to have eliminated my problem.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

2fazed
Supporting Member

Post by 2fazed »

You might have the old hatchback hinge problem. 92/93 hinges are crap. Change them with 94+, or do the temp mod by putting some electric tape on the handle, that the lock holds in place when closed.
16 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition
06 Mazdaspeed6 2.3T
93 626 ES 2.5
92 Mx-3 RS 1.6
93 Mx-3 GS 2.5
93 Mx-3 RS 1.6
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

I just did the ZX-2 Tokico swap, and I reused all my rubber seats. The rear strut mounts have rubber seats that wrap around them, and the springs wrap around those rubber seats. I've got the squeaky sound too, and I believe it's the springs shifting against those rubber seats.

Mine were a bit cracked, but I couldn't afford to spend another five or six hundred on new mounts and rubbers.

I'd be willing to bet that's where the noise is coming from.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”