Crank Bolt

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
1992blazeredgs

Crank Bolt

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I am trying to change the timing belt on a 93 rs. I got the crank pulley off, but still need to get the crank bolt out to get the new belt on. Its an automatic tranny, is there any way to lock up the crank? I have tried everything i can think of, and have hit the bolt with an impact wrench but it only goes up to 125psi. Mazda has a special tool for this job but of course i cant find that tool anywhere else.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

There's something called engine hydraulic lock that you could try. Take out a spark plug, and turn the crank counterclockwise until that piston is on it's way up (make sure it's the compression stroke and both valves are closed). Now fill that cylinder with clean motor oil and put the spark plug back in. You should now be able to continue turning the crank bolt because the oil will be incompressible, and the piston won't be able to continue rising.

I am in no way saying that this is the best and safest method, but a method none-the-less. And it will work.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I will keep that method in mind. I am thinking about putting a breaker bar on the crank bolt, and than turning the motor over. Hoping the starter has enough power to break the bolt loose. I hate not having the right tools. Makes the job so much more difficult. If anybody else has any methods please feel free to respond.

Nate
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

A ghetto method I have used in the past.. requires 2 people though, both relatively strong. Using a old fan belt around the crank pulley.. stick the Lug Nut Wrench through the fan belt and twist the belt until you cant twist it no more. Then pull on the lug nut wrench as hard as possible. At the same time.. use the breaker bar on the crank bolt. Keep all spark plugs in. Put the car in drive and keep the e-brake on. (Every little bit helps). Has worked for me in the past more than a few times.. but has also failed once or twice. ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

JCS

Post by JCS »

Nate,

Last time I replaced the timing belt, I just used the breaker bar method. Have a friend make sure the socket doesn't slip off while you're bumping the engine over. Makes things alot easier when you make the ground do the hard work :wink:

Joel
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I finally got the bolt broken loose. I put a breaker bar on the crank bolt, wedged about few boards under the handle of the break bar, hit the key, and than had my brother turn the bar while the starter had the bolt locked up. Broke loose first time. Had the car back together and running in under an hour after that. Funny thing is i spent about 6 hours trying to get that dumb bolt loose. Thanks for the advice.

Nate
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

power tools would have made it easier

but hey im been there myself no power tools

sometimes something so easy is so hard..

good to hear u got it back up and running.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”