Millenia alternator ?'s (I did a search so don't worry :) )

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

Millenia alternator ?'s (I did a search so don't worry :) )

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Okay so after searching, I found a good bit of info on the swap, but there are some ?'s I still have unanswered.

the first ? I have is since i'm doing this on the 4cyl, should I use the millenia brackets, and does anyone have any pics of it installed in ther 4-banger?

The second ? is what is the part # for the belts the millenia alternator uses, and at the risk of sounding like a newb, can the belts I currently have on my stock alt work with the millenia alt.

thanks alot everyone!
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

I have the same questions as well :D
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I dont see how anythign will work, brackets or belts, since they're designed for the K-series, which is completely different than anything else. You'll probably need to trial-and-error on the belts since the pulley, it's a different size, smaller or larger I dont remember.

What you guys may want to do is look/search on thread in regards to using a GS 90amp alternator, I know there are a few threds on this, one should be farily detailed if i remember right...it fits the same, just requires 1 extra wire hook up to ignition
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I dont see how anythign will work, brackets or belts, since they're designed for the K-series, which is completely different than anything else. You'll probably need to trial-and-error on the belts since the pulley, it's a different size, smaller or larger I dont remember.

What you guys may want to do is look/search on thread in regards to using a GS 90amp alternator, I know there are a few threds on this, one should be farily detailed if i remember right...it fits the same, just requires 1 extra wire hook up to ignition
I thought about that one as well, I just saw that there was a way to use the Millenia's amp, and thought (well hey more amps won't hurt :wink: )
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote: I thought about that one as well, I just saw that there was a way to use the Millenia's amp, and thought (well hey more amps won't hurt :wink: )
There is, just treat the millenia alternator as the GS alternator, the only difference is that there is 1 extra wire to hook up, and that's it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:I dont see how anythign will work, brackets or belts, since they're designed for the K-series, which is completely different than anything else. You'll probably need to trial-and-error on the belts since the pulley, it's a different size, smaller or larger I dont remember.
WTF ^^^^

Yes it will fit onto a 4banger. only a 1.6 though(BP uses a v belt). you dont need to trial and error fitting belts or brackets, thats why your tension is adjustable. you use your stock bracket. the only differance is that the base mounting bolt goes threw the opposite direction, as the 60amp alt. Tunes is the one who knows about the wiring, and where you can get the plug to fit the alt.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

aha! sweet!

I'll def. be using the Millenia alt, since i'll be doing the BP swap sometime in the future (Hopefully by the summer of 2008).

Also thanks for letting me know to use the stock bracket. (as I now see it hooks up like the GS). The wiring and getting the plug is ok, as I read his FAQ (nice faq btw).

Alright then! Thanks a lot guys, will hopefully get the alternator tomorrow or tuesday!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

One thing of note for the millenia alternator or any alternator.. the higher the amperage output of the alternator.. the more drag the alternator puts on the engine.. reducing the horsepower output of the engine. Just something to keep in mind when determining your goals for the car.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Josh wrote:
WTF ^^^^

Yes it will fit onto a 4banger. only a 1.6 though(BP uses a v belt). you dont need to trial and error fitting belts or brackets, thats why your tension is adjustable. you use your stock bracket. the only differance is that the base mounting bolt goes threw the opposite direction, as the 60amp alt. Tunes is the one who knows about the wiring, and where you can get the plug to fit the alt.
won't fit a bp my azz im using a gs alt on my boosted bp..

u just have to swap out the UDP and water pump pulley for that of the 1.6 sohc or dohc, udp and water pump pulley and them u can use a gs alt on a BP..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Josh wrote:
WTF ^^^^

You can't use the stock Millenia bracket.
You can't use the stock Millenia belt.

I didn't say you don't use the stock B-serie bracket, he was asking about the Millenia bracket. As for a belt, that's my mistake, but that's me making an assumption that it didn't have enough adjustment. I was assuming worse case senario...but if you can, great, if you can't, be warned, but that part, I dont know.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote: won't fit a bp my azz im using a gs alt on my boosted bp..

u just have to swap out the UDP and water pump pulley for that of the 1.6 sohc or dohc, udp and water pump pulley and them u can use a gs alt on a BP..
Is that a small nose crank or a large?

I looked everywhere and couldent find a serpintene crank pully that would fit mine. i found an aftermarket aluminum pully, but i didnt want to reduce the weight. i did just find a v belt pully from a 2nd gen that will fit the GS alt
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Tunes67 wrote:One thing of note for the millenia alternator or any alternator.. the higher the amperage output of the alternator.. the more drag the alternator puts on the engine.. reducing the horsepower output of the engine. Just something to keep in mind when determining your goals for the car.

Tunes67
really now?

Well what alternator would you recommend for the BP?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Josh wrote:
Limegreen mx-3 wrote: won't fit a bp my azz im using a gs alt on my boosted bp..

Is that a small nose crank or a large?

I looked everywhere and couldent find a serpintene crank pully that would fit mine. i found an aftermarket aluminum pully, but i didnt want to reduce the weight. i did just find a v belt pully from a 2nd gen that will fit the GS alt
large nose crank of couse

small nose crank won't work at all.

the unorodotox (can't remember how to spell it) UDP for the mx-3 or stock 4cly mx-3 UDP and any water pump pulley from a 4cly mx-3 will work for the BP big nose crank.

josh ur sliping on me.. guy..

which do u have by the way..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:
Tunes67 wrote:One thing of note for the millenia alternator or any alternator.. the higher the amperage output of the alternator.. the more drag the alternator puts on the engine.. reducing the horsepower output of the engine. Just something to keep in mind when determining your goals for the car.

Tunes67
really now?

Well what alternator would you recommend for the BP?
im using a gs alt on my BP

remember there are two cranks that the BP use's

early BP's 89-91 maybe 92 use a small nose crank the 4 bolts that hold the udp to the crank have a rectangle shape pattern.

93 and up all use a big nose crank the 4 bolts that hold the UDP to the crank have a square shape pattern..

know u guys know if u didn't know i know some of u will say how can u tell.

u have a square shatpe pattern on ur crank u have a big nose and u can upgrade the BP alt.. have the small nose ur SOL
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

I did not buy the BP yet so thank you :D

Right now i'm waiting to finish my exhaust work, then the MTX swap, and then i'll look into the BP..

seeing everyone's BP's on here though just makes me wish I could win the lottery LOL

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”