Fuel filter replacement

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Leedeth

Fuel filter replacement

Post by Leedeth »

I'm using this and the workshop manual as a guide: http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 068#110068 and I have a few questions.

I heard somewhere that nobody ever checks or changes the fuel filter, even shops. How long can a fuel filter last?

Are there any high flow fuel filters, and do they affect performance with stock injectors? Should I just get a stock filter?

The workshop manual says there's a low-pressure side and a high-pressure side. I'm confused, what is this? Which one should I replace?

Thanks.
92 MX-3 RS (B6-ME, MTX) - front/rear strut bars
Tropical Emerald 1993

Post by Tropical Emerald 1993 »

I've replaced mine (high pressure one in the engine bay) just after 150000km, it was very dirty but didn't notice problems with the old one.

Get the stock replacement one and make sure you have a proper body position so you can work with both hands if you're working from top of the engine.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

they should be replaced about every 40 000 - 50 000 kms.
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

Where can I find the fuel filter? :oops:
Leedeth

Post by Leedeth »

Ok I got this far trying to figure out how to get to the low-pressure side. What do I do next?

Sorry about being unfocused...my camera wouldn't even let me take a pic on auto in the car for some reason...I had to force it on manual.

shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

i thought the fuel filter was on the driverside firewall in the engine compartment........

not at the pump
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
teribble

Post by teribble »

95 rs wrote:i thought the fuel filter was on the driverside firewall in the engine compartment........

not at the pump
There is one there but i think they have two Filters not sure on the second one.
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

teribble wrote:
95 rs wrote:i thought the fuel filter was on the driverside firewall in the engine compartment........

not at the pump
There is one there but i think they have two Filters not sure on the second one.
Is it the high-pressure filter on the firewall?
OldMan

Post by OldMan »

There is a filter on the bottom of the fuel pump. You should start your car and then unplug the wiring harness that you see under the rear seat cushion, the car will die after a few seconds. Then turn your key off. What this does is relieve the fuel pressure. You then can disconnect both of the fuel lines visible in the picture. Have a couple of plugs handy to place over the 2 ports that the lines connect too. Then remove the screws that fasten the fuel access port. You can then carefully lift it out of the tank, your fuel pump is attached to this port. On the bottom of the fuel pump you will see a small screened sack, that is the filter. There is also a filter on the fire wall in the engine compartment, at least that is where it is on a 4 cylinder.

The in tank filter is one that most people overlook. It is easy to replace just make sure that the car is well ventilated while you are working and don't smoke while doing the job. You just need to take your time so as not to damage the float assembly that is also attached. After you remove all the screws from the top you just slowly raise it out of the tank, you may have to rotate it a little to get everything out, change the filter and replace everything back the way you removed it. :wink:

OldMan
Leedeth

Post by Leedeth »

Thanks OldMan. As I go over the manual again, it's so much more clear. The manual is very ambiguous.

I'll get back to you if I have questions or when I'm done replacing it. If my camera agrees with the lighting conditions then I'll make a little DIY.

To answer the questions...there are two filters: the high-pressure filter is on the firewall, and the low-pressure one is attached to the bottom of the fuel pump.
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

I went to partsource and they only have the fuel filter that goes on the firewall.. They don't even have the low-pressure fuel filter on their computer.. Do you know what it's called?

Is this the low-pressure filter?: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-PUM ... otohosting
OldMan

Post by OldMan »

Yeah that would be it. I am sorry I wasn't thinking about the fact that they list it as a strainer. I don't know if you have an Advance Auto Parts store near you but they have them or can get them. I think any of the parts stores should be able to get them.

Sorry for the little glitch. :roll:

OldMan
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

No worries, thanks for your help :D

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”