Enlighten me.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
94mx3precidia

Enlighten me.

Post by 94mx3precidia »

Yet again i have another question. Ive done alot of searching and pondering and i think it might be my bearing. Anyways ill describe my problem. When i take a corner going right, say im pulling into tim hortons or something i hear clunking in my drivers side. It only just started doing this recently and i thaught it was because my strut mounts were cracked. So needing new strut mounts, struts, and coil springs i baught them at my work and installed them last weekend. Everything is fine, smoother ride but the clunking is still then whenever i turn right. I dont feel any play vertically or horizontally in my tire. My cv axels are less than 7k old.(btw is there a way to test for a bad cv axel? is it just by inspection?)

im stumped so if you have any suggestions just throw them out, im opening to anything. Oh, and i also hear clunking as i reverse out of my driveway(gravel driveway) thx
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Worn ball joint?
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

its defenetly a bad cv jount. fix it now before your bearing goes.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hharb

Post by hharb »

definitely a joint, had exact same issue before..
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

its defenetly a bad cv jount. fix it now before your bearing goes.
Did you even read his post? He said he the axles are only 7k miles old.

I'm in agreement with a bad ball joint. But rather than throwing cash at the issue.. take it to a suspension shop and have it inspected. A lot of places will even do free inspections for you hoping to get your business. And those guys are trained to find bad stuff. If your planning to let a shop do the work, get a second opinion.. maybe even a 3rd opinion as well to ensure they are being honest.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya i was thinking of taking it to a shop and getting a free look. Ill be doing the work myself. Now that you bring up that it could be a bad joint, i did have to replace my lower ball joint on my passenger side for my safety and that was at the same time i put my axels in. So i think it might be my lower ball joint.

Its weird cuz it only does it when i am going slow and turn right then hit a bump i hear clunking and to me that sounds like its a bearing.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

def check on those bc I had the same problem a while back with my first MX3. I also found a clunk after replacing the ball joints and cv's, turns out I had a broken spring on my drivers side. It was broken at the top so each time I hit a bump it would clunk. Just another idea. The ball joint/ CV axle are probably the likely case. Good luck.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

CV joints don't really clunk. They either click or pop, depending on which end is bad. I think hub side clicks, and tranny side pops.

It could be a CV joint, or it could be your swaybar is loose and hits things under just the right amount of stress caused by turning.

As others said, take it to a pro.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I would look at your anti-roll bar end links.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

mazdags94 wrote: I also found a clunk after replacing the ball joints and cv's, turns out I had a broken spring on my drivers side. It was broken at the top so each time I hit a bump it would clunk.
Thanks but i can rule this out. I have replaced both of my coil springs with new parts.
Yoda wrote: I would look at your anti-roll bar end links.

What do you mean by anti roll bar end links? Do you mean the stab links?
Whisper wrote: or it could be your swaybar is loose and hits things under just the right amount of stress caused by turning.
Well i have replaced both of my stab links on both sides and tighted them up really well but ill have a look tommorow and see if i can see some indication of the sway bar hitting.

thanks for the help.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

94mx3precidia wrote:What do you mean by anti roll bar end links? Do you mean the stab links?
I'm pretty sure they're the same thing.

How about your swaybar mount bushings? Are they worn?
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

well i had a look today and it really looking like its my lower ball joint. the boot is ripped so im willing to bet that its the culprit. And how do you tell if bushings are worn? Do they just look cracked?
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

Does anyone know how to tell if swaybar bushings are worn?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”