foggy windows a nightmare

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
cali_gal

foggy windows a nightmare

Post by cali_gal »

hi all, i have noticed in wet weather that my window gets all foggy inside, and nothing will get rid of it except running the ac at full tilt. this is NOT acceptable with winter around the corner. What can i do??
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

run the heat at full tilt, make sure you have the air set to come from outside the car, not to recirculate.
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
cali_gal

fog

Post by cali_gal »

I have tried that and it only seems to get worse. is there a product i can buy to put on my windsheild?
California Dreaming
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There is a product called FogX (I think thats the name) Its made by the same people who developed RainX. I havent used it.. only seen it in the auto parts stores. But if you have your air set to "Fresh" and not recirculate.. and its still fogging up badly.. there maybe other issues going on in your car. Check your coolant level and make sure it isnt low. If it is low.. get your heater core checked as it might have a pin hole leak in it steaming hot coolant under your dash.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Keep your sunroof cracked open. just enough for the inside air to be able to circulate out

in conjunction with heat, this will be the most effective way I've found
and you will stay comfortable and not wet.
cali_gal

Post by cali_gal »

Cool! thanks for the advice guys. :D
California Dreaming
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Run your AC Compressor, but have the temp stting on Heat.

The AC acts as a dehumidifier and will ELIMINATE the fog. No cold will be coming out since you have the heat on.

Seriously, works every time.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

Tunes67 wrote: There is a product called FogX (I think thats the name) Its made by the same people who developed RainX.
I second that. They sell it in the ghas stations any what not. I have not yet used it but ive head some really good product reviews.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

Not sure if this is the case on MX-3s since my A/C doesn't work but most cars automatically run the A/C when you put it on defrost.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I don't like my car to be humid, so I bought something called "Damprid" at Home depot. It works great!
It looks like kitty litter, and sucks water from the air and traps it. You just have to put it in a container that won't tip over. It keeps your interior very fresh! It's made for ridding basements of moisture.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

atlantamx3 wrote:Run your AC Compressor, but have the temp stting on Heat.

The AC acts as a dehumidifier and will ELIMINATE the fog. No cold will be coming out since you have the heat on.
yep this will work without blowing cold air and you will still have the heat. use the "defrost/air to your feet" icon setting on the HVAC panel, and make sure your a/c switch is on.
Volones

Post by Volones »

I have the same problem since my replacement windshield has a small leak. I actually came out of work one day to see my car totally fogged up inside.

I was able to fix it by leaving the windows cracked open (in a safe place obviously) during a really hot day, and since here in CO, our humidity is so low it effectively dehumidified the car and solved the problem.

Good luck
Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

my old mx was salvaged and the window wasn't put in correctly and it used to leak. it wasn't that bad until winter came and i had to scrape the INSIDE of my windows. It used to always make me laugh.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

atlantamx3 wrote:Run your AC Compressor, but have the temp stting on Heat.

Seriously, works every time.
All the newer cars on the road these days do this automatically right from the factory where the A/C switches in the defrost mode.
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

94mx3precidia wrote:
Tunes67 wrote: There is a product called FogX (I think thats the name) Its made by the same people who developed RainX.
I second that. They sell it in the ghas stations any what not. I have not yet used it but ive head some really good product reviews.
You wouldn't want to use it anywhere where there is a chance of frost or colder. The problem is that this stuff adsorbs moisture and freezes and you end up with more frost on the inside of the window than you do on the outside and the worst part is the freezing point is changed so that it takes longer to melt. It is a really pain to the rear end to wash off too and usually requires a solvent to strip.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”