Shudder on front passenger side when going 60kph+

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
rekognize

Shudder on front passenger side when going 60kph+

Post by rekognize »

Hey guys, need your input on this:

Everytime I go around 60+ kph and slightly turn the wheel to the left I feel a shudder on the front passenger side of my car..

I have inspected the wheel bearing (there's no play when I try to move the wheel around while on a jack), I checked the tire, rim, switched it around, and it still happens on the front right side. This only happens when I go 60kph and faster, there's no ticking or anything at low speeds.

The rims seem to be balanced OK, I don't feel any vibrations or anything when going straight on high speeds, the shudder only occurs when I slightly turn the wheel to the left.

I am using the stock 14's and stock suspension...

Thanks for your input! :D
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Well it seems like you have checked out what I would've checked out. However your problem sounds like mine. Even though the wheel does not move when you push it back and forth the bearing may still be bad.

That's how it was on my k8 mx-3. I finally took the spindle off and took it to an alignment shop and they put a new bearing in. After I had that done, I got an alignment and guess what - no more shudder :D

Maybe somebody else has had a different experience so wait til more ppl post here.... it could be a combination of other worn suspension parts + bad alignment + radial pull from bad alignment...
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Hmm usually means a bad CV joint/wheel bearing but you would hear clicking from the CV's, and the wheel bearings would be a weird droning noise... but you would hear it all the time... just worse when turning.

Take it in and get an estimate, then if you can do everything yourself do it. It will be alot cheaper if you can do it all on your own.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

I believe the problem is the CV Joint, does anyone know if they carry it at Canadian Tire or Parts Source or I have to buy it from Mazda dealer?
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

ct and part source can get em just call around
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”