Putt the engine together... Problems

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Norwegian81

Putt the engine together... Problems

Post by Norwegian81 »

First off:

Just putt on new gaskets to fix an oil problem i had. Now I've putt the engine togheter again and the problems are these.

1. Funny noise coming from belt side of engine, cind of a schreecing noise. It also smokes (smells like burnt rubber).

2. Drops of water keeps spraing from from somwhere around the belts. (also had water disapering before i took my engine apart, could this be the wather pump?)

3. The car wont idle. It revs upp to 3000 rpm and down do about 1500 and stays there sometimes for minutes. then suddently drops down to zero.

4. cant find my CEL in the dash. Even when i jump cables TEN and GND (think i got them right, I got no diagram on the iside of my box). Does all MX-3's got CEL's, if so where is it located.

Think that is it for now, cant remeber anything more exept i have problems with geting my vacum hoses in the right order. If you got any ideas to one or more of these issues plees post or pm me.

Kind regards
Norwegian81
WhiteFinish

Re: Putt the engine together... Problems

Post by WhiteFinish »

Norwegian81 wrote:First off:

Just putt on new gaskets to fix an oil problem i had. Now I've putt the engine togheter again and the problems are these.

1. Funny noise coming from belt side of engine, cind of a schreecing noise. It also smokes (smells like burnt rubber).

2. Drops of water keeps spraing from from somwhere around the belts. (also had water disapering before i took my engine apart, could this be the wather pump?)

3. The car wont idle. It revs upp to 3000 rpm and down do about 1500 and stays there sometimes for minutes. then suddently drops down to zero.

4. cant find my CEL in the dash. Even when i jump cables TEN and GND (think i got them right, I got no diagram on the iside of my box). Does all MX-3's got CEL's, if so where is it located.

Think that is it for now, cant remeber anything more exept i have problems with geting my vacum hoses in the right order. If you got any ideas to one or more of these issues plees post or pm me.

Kind regards
Norwegian81
1. Does nothing touch the belt what could cause it to smoke?
2. Sounds like a waterpump, but could also be a waterhose. (perhaps pressure the system)
3. Difficult problem. Hard to say because it could be many things
4. Connect a led between the top left and top right points on your diagnostic. Count the flashing lights. Long is a ten number 1x ; short flash is a single x1 x2 etc

Good luck
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

1. Seems to me that nothing is touching the water or generator belt, so this leves the drive belt, but there shouldent be anything tuching that.

2. I'll recheck all the hoses, but I'm guesing it may be the water pump!?

3. ;)

4. cool, will check that tomorow.

5. Thank you wery much ;)
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

1) The wining noise will most likely be one of your belts slipping, or one of the bearings in your pullies going out. If its one of your bearings seizing, that is where the burning rubber smell is coming from because the belt is rubbing on your pulley causeing it to get hot.

2) How old is your water pump? You could be leaking water from the weep hole on your water pump.

3) Sounds like you are in need of a good tps adjustment. Check the v6 faq for the propper procedures on that.

4) The actual check engine light is the top light on the dash on the left side of the cluster.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

sounds like the other guys all nailed it, but just a quick note: i think most euro mx's don't have a CEL at all, like in japan, so no point looking for it...

white finish gave you the right way to check it
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Ok, thank you all for replying, now for an uppdate.

Changed the waterpump and so far so good (exept i changed it twice sinche the first time the store gave me 92-93 pump, dident notice that before i put everything back together again). And i changed the bearing in one pully i felt was cind of dead. Now for my list again;

1. wining noise still there only higher. Belts look nice and tight, altho i cant tighten or loosen the belt driving the water and oilpump since it's stuck.

2. looks fixed ;)

3. Havent done a tps adjust, will do that tomorrow. But i found a whire i haddent conneted (think it's the EGR valve position sensor, it collors are W/Y, B/L, LG/R i think). When I connectet it it seemed fine, but now when the parking brake is not in use the RPM fluxuates somwath fast between 1000 and 1500. When i have the parking brake on it sits steady at about 1000 RPMs.

4. Havent gotten around to doing the test yet. Got a hold of a LED tho since i dont have CEL.

5. This i wierd; After i did the waterpump it smokes alot again, and there are alot of oil in the exhost pipes. It was fine before i changed the pump.
My two questions about this is;
A) Noticed that my motoroil was alittle over the full mark. Can to much oil in the engine couse this?
B) When i put the timingbelt back on i was very carfull to get all the marks aligned. But now i'm uncerten that i may have missed with one tooth on the right side. Could this be the couse of it all?
BTW is there any way I could find out if the timingbelt is off, other then taking the timing beltcover off?

And thanks again for wonderfull answers ;)

Norwegian81
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Today I've taken two testrides after adjusting idle. I used the TEN and GND crosower, and adjusted the idle to about 650. When I stoped the engine and took out the jumper i started it again and checked the idle, it read about 650. First ride was fine but after driving alittle i noticed it idled at 1500, so I vent back to my garage and adjustet it back down agin. Second Trip it was the same Idling at 1500. I also thought I'd test if I've fixed my initial problem (the reason i took out my engine was smoking after using motor brake), so i found the nearest downhill i could find. Put the car in third gear and lett it roll down without using the gaspedal.
well down I throtteled it and my worst nightmare was a fact, thick wite smoke all over the place, couldent even look out the rear window.

What can this be? Dont want to take the engine out again! I know it's not the head gasket, it''s not the valves or the valve stem seals, as these are fixed.

I also wonder if there could be anything wrong with the sensor or valve or what ever it is going from the left tophead cover into a T and then into TB and right tophead cover. It sometimes Tick.

Anyone please help, cant drive my car with all that smoke coming out.
Norwegian 81
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Me too I had white smoke when doing motor braking.

It was the EGR channel in the trotle body was full of oil junk. Cleaned it with brake cleaner and white smoke was gone.

You could try that :wink:
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

I also wonder if there could be anything wrong with the sensor or valve or what ever it is going from the left tophead cover into a T and then into TB and right tophead cover. It sometimes Tick.
is it PCV Valve..does it rattle when you shake it? Its like $5buks,replae it. That wouldn't cause your car to smoke.

as for yoir high idle. if there are no vacumn leaks.maybe suspect tehe IAC is no good. You can also try cleaning it out.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Yes it ratles when i shake it, ok i will replace.

IAC? what is that?

And anyone know what the smoking is?
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

lol, dissregard my last post just noticed MX3ak's post, sorry MX3ak ;)
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Ok, the TB is off, and what a mess, oil (black as night) all over the place, mostly old crusted oil that has been there a while.

But can anyone tell me what that oil is doing there? I'm not that shure about the working of the TB, I know you controll the air intake there and probobly gas has some part in the proces around the TB, but where dos the oil come into play? What is the sorce?

Norwegian81
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

As for the oil in the TB, I think it could been aspirated from the exaust when the motor was leaking oil internaly.
Most part of the oil gets burned in with smoke but another part goes out by liquid form. Then EGR system sends some exaust smoke (and liquid oil) into TB. This appens more when you do the motor brake, because it's when EGR is full on.

I would advise to get the Intake Manifold out and clean the EGR channel.
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

What is the EGR Channel? Solved, jumped ahed of myself, found it in the Online Manual
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Oil could get into the intake through the pcv system - especially during hard acceleration (heavy load) my engine pumps oil through the tube that connects to the crankcase and the intake hose. i have an oil catch can temporarily and i pretty much have to empty it every month......

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”