Jaydogs 94 Mx-3 BP turbo

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
jaydog5678

Jaydogs 94 Mx-3 BP turbo

Post by jaydog5678 »

This is my worklog for my newest build-up on my 94 Mazda Mx-3. I've allready swapped in a Bp-t engine from a 323 GTX a couple of yrs back. The stock GTX engine was a good engine and ran strong untill I melted a hole in the #3 cyl on June 3rd, earlier this yr at Road Atlanta. After carefull thought, I've decided to spend a few dollars, insuring that holes in pistons won't be another problem. I consider tunning a big part of the buildup, so that will be another issue to address once the car is up and running.

I've taken several pics a few weeks ago and now here they are in my work log. The cyl head work is done. I've spent several hrs porting and polishing the exhaust runners and combustion chamber. I finished the exhaust side first and started the intake with pics. For now, I'm not showing the finished intake ports. It's a secret...The block and cyl. head went to the local machine shop.

Machine work:
bore block
micropolish crank
balance rotating assembly
clean block
set ring end gap
deck block

Cyl. head work:
re-cut valve seats
re-surface head
clean/rebuild lifters
assemble valvetrain (valves, springs, seats, retainers and keepers)

Right now I have:
JE pistons 1mm oversize, JE rings
Carillo con rods
clevite standard bearings
ARP head studs
Gates racing (blue) T. belt
Supertech dual valve springs and
titanium retainers
aftermarket valves

Ported and polished cyl. head.

Pictures of the bottom end after having machine work done. A fresh coat of paint was applied after the block was cleaned.

The crankshaft along with the other bottom end parts were fully balanced.

The polished cranshaft.

The pistons and rods assembled.

Side by side comparison of a heavier/weaker BP rod and Carrillo rod.

So many parts to get put on the car...

That's all for now. I should have my cyl. head back from the machine shop shortly. Some of the exhaust valve guides needed to be replaced which is the reason for the work to take awhile.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

get the crank knife edged :) cant wait to ride in this one. AND IF THIS ONE GOES (prays not) fe3 time :) ????
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

LOL. I'm praying to. :D I've assembled the bottom end so knife edging is out of the question. I do have more pics that will go up after the head is back.
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Is that a new clutch I spy? Do you still have the old clutch kit or did you buy new? if so you know what im thinking.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Just the disk bro. I didn't get a new pressure plate.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Man I sure hope this aint what it looks like.. or maybe it wont matter for some reason.. but this sure looks like a crack to me...

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

^^^Your not the only one thinking that Tunes!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Check these out dog B6T on the right
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Volones

Post by Volones »

Tunes67 wrote:Man I sure hope this aint what it looks like.. or maybe it wont matter for some reason.. but this sure looks like a crack to me...

Tunes67
Yeah, I saw that too. I think it's part of the intake though, but I'd be concerned about vibrations causing metal bits to break off and go into the cylinders.
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Nothing to worry about guys. That's the casting line of the cyl. head. I tried to remove as much as possible to make it all blend together where it splits the 2 valves.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”