1.6 DOHC Miata valves and springs: will they work on the MX?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
zCat

1.6 DOHC Miata valves and springs: will they work on the MX?

Post by zCat »

I have the MX3 1.6 DOHC and from what I have read it is pretty much the same if not exactly the same as the 1.6 Miata engine. My question is, will valves designed for the miata head fit my MX-3's head? I posted on here about getting the Gude cylinder head package and seeing the horsepower difference, and I am finally going to do this little project, and I think as part of my N/A build up I am going to try to raise the redline to 8000 rpm, but the only lightweight valves and high-perf springs I can find are made for the miata DOHC. Thanks!
zoom_zoom94mx3

Post by zoom_zoom94mx3 »

well i was unaware that Gude performace's head package until today, but i called them and they said that for the B6 engine, their head package will give you 55hp at the wheels, and will cost 1650 usd. It includes ported and polished head, cams of your choice (full race or week end racer) and a ported throttle body. she also said that nothing else needed upgraded, that it was just direct bolt on. I dont know if it would actually give you 55whp but seems like a preety good idea to me if you are planning to stay NA
94 mazda mx3 rs 1.6l DOHC... probe 4-2-1 header, 2" catback, a spec CAI, advanced ignition timing, NGK plugs/ wires, obx light wight crank pulley
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2754605/1
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

55whp on a b6-de n/a can kiss my azz..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
zoom_zoom94mx3

Post by zoom_zoom94mx3 »

yea, i think that the package would give you decent gains but no where near 55whp. I have also done some reading about Gude performance because i was thinking about buying the head package in the spring, but from what i have read unless you have a honda D16 the company is not so good... WHICH SUCKS because i was getting excited.
94 mazda mx3 rs 1.6l DOHC... probe 4-2-1 header, 2" catback, a spec CAI, advanced ignition timing, NGK plugs/ wires, obx light wight crank pulley
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

well the 4cly mazda engines can make good power in boost form.

n/a is a different story..not to many if any 200+whp on any b-series mazda engine.

but hey i could be wrong im sure there someone out there.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I have to agree with Limegreen MX-3 here, no way you are going to see 55whp from a B6 NA with that Gude package. I dont even see 20whp after all of those mods actually.

Anyways good luck, nice to see someone going the full NA route.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

i think boosted definatly you could see 55whp gain. as its that way with the BP and the solid lifter head in some cases.

but N/A? given you have high comp pistons and its fully balanced, 35 maybe 40 ......maybe. but i doubt 55.

i know i gained massive amounts from my cams in my B6. but i just wish i would have dynoed it before and after.

but to awnser your question. YES. all inturnals are swapable. the heads in hole however are not. there are a few oil ports that would have to be blocked off on the block.
zCat

Post by zCat »

Thanks Josh for answering my question. As for everyone else, I personally never said how much horsepower I'd gain, haha...that, as a matter of fact, is exactly what I am going to figure out. Because you can speculate all you freakin want to, but until I dyno it now and dyno it post-mods then we will never ACTUALLY know.
I am gonna get started on it though. I am going to do the cylinder head package, of course intake and exhaust-and I will finally install those damn headers for it I bought eons ago!-and I am looking at getting an intake mani (see my WTB) so I can have it extrude honed.
Here are my thoughts: if it ends up making an utterly disappointing amount of horsepower, I don't care too much, because one I will have a brand stinkin new engine, and two, with all those mods a turbo would make stupid power. So I am not too worried about all of it. I just wanted to know about the Miata springs because they make race springs for Miatas and I am hoping to get that and get the rotating assemblies lightened a whole lot and balanced really well so I can achieve around an 8000-rpm redline.
So thanks for answering my original question ^_^
zoom_zoom94mx3

Post by zoom_zoom94mx3 »

If you are talking about the head package from gude performance then it comes with an intake mianifold.
But post the results for sure!
zCat

Post by zCat »

The rep on the phone told me it only came with the head, cams, and a TB. If you read that on the general info on the website, well some of the packages don't contain certain parts. But if you actually called and talked to him and they TOLD you it came with an intake mani, that's pretty tits.
zoom_zoom94mx3

Post by zoom_zoom94mx3 »

Ya, i called them a couple days ago and they she said that the mx3 package came with an intake manifold. I wall call today again just to make sure.
zCat

Post by zCat »

Sweet, I am interested in finding out.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”