If I want to beat the snot of my KLZE MX3, what clutch?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Juans_93_MX3

If I want to beat the snot of my KLZE MX3, what clutch?

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

- Well, not literally beat the snot, but I want to be able to have a clutch that can take some beating from time to time. Every now and then.

- Daily driving wont be a huge concern because I have a CRX daily driver but I would still like something that has a good pedal feel.

- Something that would last me a long while would be great

4 Questions for you guys
1.) How long have you had your clutch in or about how many miles is on your clutch?
2.) Do you drive your car hard, like giving it a good beating from time to time?
3.) Is your clutch good/decsent/great for daily driving?
4.) What type of clutch do you have, about how much money did you spend and where you get it from?

MODS:
Fidanza Flywheel, full exhaust, test pipe, CAI, KLZE straight neck I/M, short shifter
Last edited by Juans_93_MX3 on September 15th, 2007, 1:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I have been using an exedy for over 60K miles in my klze... I have been very happy with it... and I still beat up on people in the occasional race :)
I'm also using a fidanza flywheel which is highly recommended.

I started with a ClutchMaster Stage 2 type R and I only got 15k miles out of it... not recommended.

just my experience... everybody's got their own opinion though :wink:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Mooneggs wrote:I have been using an exedy for over 60K miles in my klze... I have been very happy with it... and I still beat up on people in the occasional race :)
I'm also using a fidanza flywheel which is highly recommended.

I started with a ClutchMaster Stage 2 type R and I only got 15k miles out of it... not recommended.

just my experience... everybody's got their own opinion though :wink:
Over at Probetalk people like the Exedy clutches. Where you get your off? Ebay by any chance?
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah Ebay FTW! it's just an OEM exedy clutch it was like $130 shipped I think? it's been a while...
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

My friend has the OEM Exedy from ebay...He's litterallt beat the crap out of it for like a year and a half on a klde and now he has a klze. seems to be holding up fine.

But i recomend something better for sure. Alot of poeple go with CM stage . I've put 2 klze's in friends mx3's both using that clutch. I know its a good clutch But I just don't like the feeling of it.Its waay to damn soft.
I have an ACT stage1 street clutch (its justa heavy pressure plate with woven organic disk. its the 3rd disk in the street edition clutches from ACT before they go into puck disks) Its gota bharder pedal but once you get used to it you love it. It feels solid and grabs pretty nice
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I've had my clutchmaster dual friction on my ZE for 20k now, and it works amazing. the pedal feels like stock, i kid you not, but man does that thing ever grab HARD. If you make a shitty shift and drop the clutch it will grab no matter what. Gives a good jerk.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Mooneggs wrote:yeah Ebay FTW! it's just an OEM exedy clutch it was like $130 shipped I think? it's been a while...
No kidding. A Ebay Exedy OEM replacement clutch on a KLZE is lasting you a long time?

Anyone else have expirence with Exedy clutches? Sounds too good to be true.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

it isnt. it wont last as long as a more upgraded but it will last 2 years if u drive the complete s--- out of it.. if ur on the nicer side ull see few years from exedy
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Vanished wrote:I've had my clutchmaster dual friction on my ZE for 20k now, and it works amazing. the pedal feels like stock, i kid you not, but man does that thing ever grab HARD. If you make a shitty shift and drop the clutch it will grab no matter what. Gives a good jerk.
CENTERFORCE haha same as mine, and yeh do they grab! nice clutch.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

fieromx3 wrote:it isnt. it wont last as long as a more upgraded but it will last 2 years if u drive the complete s--- out of it.. if ur on the nicer side ull see few years from exedy
Damn. I hear some good feedback about Exedy ebay clutches over at probetalk.

I look at all these other clutches (Spec 2, Clutch Masters, South Bend) and they cost twice as much as Exedy yet Exedy could take as much or even more beating then these clutches
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

I tell you what-- Patdiesel's Clutch grabs so F-ing hard. Its an ACT , but I am not sure what stage or anything.

That same basic ACT clutch also holds all of Jaydog5678's power-- which is 300+ at the wheels and grabs HARD.

My SPEC Stage 2 Clutch grabs hard too, but has really light pedal feel so its easy in traffic.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I got some cheapo ebay clutch called gripforce something f1. its a "stage 3"

its latsed me well over a year and holds on good, It may be starting to slip after numerous trios to the drags.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Get an ACT. I love mine. it grabs hard. and I beat the snot out of mine pretty good. It will also be fun with a Fidanza
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I use a centerforce dual friction, mine is starting to slip, but i never really broke it in, it still grabs hard and has a great pedal feel. It has over 20K KMS on it i think
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1) 4 years, 100'000kms
2) She has several dozen drag races under he belt, 3000-4000rpm launches, I've practiced "roasting" the clutch at launches. I don't abuse it, but she gets used hard.
3) Not bad, was heavy, but that was from the slave cylinder, it's not too bad, just chatters a bit when you ride it.
4) Bully Stage 2 Mx-6. Cost me C$660 if i remember right

I've got a ClutchMaster Stage 3 waiting for me. Heard alot of good things about them, and I knew a guy who had one on his ZE Mx-6 who ran high 13's on slicks with it. He dragged alot on it too.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “Transmissions”