My turbo project so far

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
hgallegos915

My turbo project so far

Post by hgallegos915 »

Oks the pipes bolted on EASY. If you have ssautochrome headers, no need to swap em out. The only thing that had to be done is banf the pipe a bit to clear the tgransmission. Just like a millimeter.

Here are the pics sorry the glare.. and its my cell.

and

Now.. im kinda stumped a bit lol...

how do ig et the turbo to align with the trottle body? its like way off lol.

The turbo nicely clears the radiator and it nicely sits where the cai was. So ill be running pipes to intercooler there.

I unbolted the exhaust pipe because im getting a wideband bung welded in, well o2.

I didnt think it was this easy to bold them..

I got oil feed from the oil sending line.

Ill post more pics as progress goes on.

I got the oil return line today so tomorrow I drill.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

You have to figure out how your gonna run your pipes to the intercooler than to your TB, its all up to you everyone does it slightly different. Theres a thread in the FI section where i posted picas of how i did mine.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Can't you unbolt the compressor housing and turn it down? Then run the piping to the intercooler and then back up to the intake. That is what I would do. Antwawn's was pretty nice from what I remember.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Yah, thats what I was looking on on other peoples set ups. Ill probably run the piping down or to the front. Its a stock late 80s probe gt intercooler. Both ducts are facing same way. Im trying to figure out where i can mount it.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PWRD_BY_HKS

Post by PWRD_BY_HKS »

Word pimpin you need to clock your turbo. I told you you need a special drill bit to do your oil pan. That's what I used came out perfect
jdmx-3 KID OF THE Image
VICTORIA RACING
ZE PERFORMANCE IN 915 TX
Kl01-ZE,Kl31 ecu, millenia manifold, ngk plugs, ngk wires, probe tranny/ and clutch (stock), VortecH FMU 12:1, Aeromotive AFPR, Tial .38mm Wastegate w/ 4lbs spring, Walboro 255 pump, AiResearch T4, 3" down pipe, GODSPEED manifold, Spearco Boost Gauges, BF Goodrich G-force drag radials.
14.8 1/4 mile all motor untimed on boost.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I clocked the turbo to the front. Will be running the side mount intercooler, ill install it tomorrow. I got the oil pan drilled and some fittings. Its still a long way from finishing. Ill probably go get the bung welded tomorrow for the wideband.

------

Edit

today I figured out the intercooler piping. Its a small side mount. Will be near the cavity (fender well) Using 2.0 piping from turbo to intercooler and then from intercooler to tb ill be using 2.5 piping (which is what I had)

Should have the piping worked out when i get my 2.0 reinforced couplers.

In the mean time Ill be working the cross member.

Oil line is made, just waiting for gasket maker to seal.
-hec

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Just an update.

and

Ill change the couplers. Black one seem pretty thick tho.

Cross member will be welded tomorrow.

Wideband bung is welded on and gauges installed. Oil pan has been tacpped and half of the line is metal braided oil line. and a quarter is oil line hose, thick. Ill change it to metal braided as soon as i find it.

Everything seems to line up well. Didnt have any major fitment issues.

Reason why I had to use an intercooler is because i should have my megasquirt over the weekend and Im going for around 6 psi tuned.

Injectors i got a place that has them. Fuel pump its on its way.

No header wrap for now. Im not in a hurry to finish.

I understand that the wastegate goes to boost? according to duncan?

and rudy tells me it goes to vacuum? ? im a bit confused.
-hec

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oks.. im almost done.. Ill start it tomorrow. I need to clean up the engine bay so thats why I didnt take many pics, plus today rained.

Cross member is done, may look cheaply done but its welded on very good and holds up good.

The oil line, well that one I used the metal braided line the kit came from. I will use half a hose of oil line for the drain line. Thats temp until I find me another half one thats braided.

and here you can see how I routed the pipes to the intercooler.

It fits nice and the bumper covers it.. you can see the intercoolers bottom tho.. ill modofy that later to make it higher.

Ill make a video of the first start up.

fmu, wideband , afpr its all there.

I WILL NOT be driving the car tho.. i need the fuel pump and injectors.

Plus the megasquirt from probetalk will be here this week so i need millenias.

I do need to drive it to the mufflershop tho to weld the test pipe.
-hec

Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

drive withh open exhaust u'll love that turbo sound..

I drive that way u'll see what i mean.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Ok im done sorta...

I had problems reading boost but that was because the intercooler hose was coming off. Got that resolved. My intercooler is way to low, ill move it a bit up.

It goes to 5 psi :S i only want 4.

Also I will NOT drive it.. its to lean. At idle im at 11. But as i drive off at 3 k rpms im at 14 and higher 16 :S OW ...

so yeah walbro is a MUST .

It runs way nice compared to stock but still i wont drive it.

The car ran without a fan for a good 6 - 7 minutes running at night with cool air. Didnt overheat at all. Engine is not hot to the touch. bov works fine. Turbo seems fine.. there was oil in the outlet just a bit.. maybe its a bad turbo.

Doesnt smoke at all. my down pipe is cut, ill weld it next week. It spools NICE.. but its way to lean. So yes I know everyone told me.. YOU NEED AT LEAST a WALBRO.. and I bet even with that.. at high rpms we will be leaning out. One i actually went 17! . :S def wont be driving the car at all until i get the pump in there.

Ill post a short vid tomorrow.
-hec

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

ok
video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um1EubTxYnA

Excuse the mess... they are dummy wires.. they used to be for the fans. Only have one fan now. Not sure if the turbo is good.. it had some oil in the bellhousing. Ebay.. figures.. anywho all it needs its a walbro pump.

Im not driving it. Im moving the itnercooler up, its to low.

Wideband rewads lean because its cold, when it warms it reads 10 at idge which is to rich. Causes car to die at idle. I did adjust it and its driveable but i cant floor it or it will lean out.
-hec

colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

so what Turbo and FPR are you running?? I just cant see any names on such stuff thats all!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Cosmo afpr. Ebay turbo (ew)

ebay wastegate, ebay bov.

I tought originally the turbo was a bad because it had very little oil in the housing. I drove it today for a goo while and everything seems good. I didnt gin it, fuel ratios at regular cruising are good. I got na back up turbo in case this one blows.

----

EDIT..

yeah it seems the rear seal of the turbo is not that good.. what ya expect.. ebay turbo LOL you get what you pay for. I got a repalcement tho. Its working fine.

The car is now driveable with ok a/f just cruising tho not gunning it.

Today I re did the oil lines becauseone was leaking. Not anymore. My drain pipe is working awesome. Everything is basically ready. Waiting on pump.
-hec

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

you see the pcv breather? well its smoking from there.. very minimall but well is that normal? the front valve cover doesnt some .. it comes from the rear i believe.. well the little breather filter. There is no smoke in the throttle body or intake track... bad piston rings? could it just be very hot oil?
-hec

Return to “Forced Induction”