driver axle, seized??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cato

driver axle, seized??

Post by cato »

92 gs, I'm working on taking out the transmission, have everything except that driver axle out of the transaxle. I've done axles on a few different cars, but I've never had trouble like this.
I"ve broken one pry bar, I went to autozone and rented a slide hammer, and the axle removal tool, also no luck, I've tried pickle forks, they're not getting it. has anyone ever heard of one of these seizing in the transaxle? I"m out of ideas and going nuts trying day after day to get it off. if I seperate the joint from the rest of the axle and buy a new one, will it be any easier to get off with the trans out? could I take the transmission to a shop with the piece still in and have it removed?? help please, heck if anyone's nearby you can come take a look. I"m in birmingham alabama.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Yeah it can be a real bastard to get out.

We have had some luck sometimes by putting a screwdriver thru the the other axle hole and then pounding on the axle (via the screwdriver thru the tranny) with a BFH. (big F... Hammer) Be careful of the little bar sticking down though... (you can see it witha flashlight thru the axle hole) you dont want to damage that. I cant remember what its called.

Anyway- Good luck.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i think its the diff pin
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
cato

Post by cato »

papa roached wrote:i think its the diff pin

tell me more?
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

atlantamx3 wrote:Yeah it can be a real bastard to get out.

We have had some luck sometimes by putting a screwdriver thru the the other axle hole and then pounding on the axle (via the screwdriver thru the tranny) with a BFH. (big F... Hammer)

Anyway- Good luck.
:werd: I tried the pulling method and no good, the reason they get stuck is because theres a c-clip on it to hold it in only on the drivers side.

I used a small flathead screw driver and a little 16oz hammer, click click pop.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You'll see the diff pin when you look into the empty axle hole with a flashlight. Just make sure you go past it and place the screwdriver on the stuck axle end and wham!! it will come out...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
slowmx3

Post by slowmx3 »

Rick Johnson wrote:
atlantamx3 wrote:Yeah it can be a real bastard to get out.

We have had some luck sometimes by putting a screwdriver thru the the other axle hole and then pounding on the axle (via the screwdriver thru the tranny) with a BFH. (big F... Hammer)

Anyway- Good luck.
:werd: I tried the pulling method and no good, the reason they get stuck is because theres a c-clip on it to hold it in only on the drivers side.

I used a small flathead screw driver and a little 16oz hammer, click click pop.
:werd: :werd: Everyone who has ever delt with an mx-3 will tell ya that. I remember three guys in my highschool auto shop trying to pop that guy out with the prybar method! LOL
1992 mx-3, a couple mods, i'm still a n00b
---Don't try and church your car up, MX-3's aren't fast---
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

Yea I think shops can get away with the prybar, because you can get the leverage when it's on a hoist. But for the average joe the car is 16" off the ground so good luck
Audessy

Post by Audessy »

All I have to say is.... THANK YOU!!! The guy was having the same problem I was. I broke a crowbar, chisel, damaged an air chisel and caused much collateral damage to the car. The BFH trick is the best.

What I did was bought the longest screwdriver I could find and made sure the shaft was in the shape of a hex. I went home and sawed the handle off, hooked on a 10mm socket with an extension so I could hit from the passenger side wheel well through the tranny. A regular carpenters hammer didn't do the trick. So I bought a big f---n hammer (3lbs steel) and beat the crap out of it.

I spent over 13 working hours on that part alone. You all saved me from buying a new tranny. THANKS!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”