Hood problem

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
WhiteFinish

Hood problem

Post by WhiteFinish »

Hi there !

I'm planning to make my hood something like the one on the picture.

Exept, there is a small problem. The waterdisposal.

I want to keep the hood open so the opening would be functional. (hot air gets in the airstream from riding the car en though to opening take away from under the hood)
So making a custom plastic schield is no option.

Leaving the opening just like it is, is also not an option. The water that flows in will damage my alternator and will leak all over my engine.

I could make some sort of plate to put over the valvecovers en reroute the water to the side but I don't like the look of it.

I'd like to hear you idea's about this !!
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Hood problem

Post by monty73741 »

jeff abrams had that hood, he made a chanel out of fiberglass
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

On heard that those hoods dump the water on the front valve cover's edge, which shouldn't be an issue. If you are unsure, put the hood on and use the hose to pour water on the hood, then see what got wet under the hood. Without the car off it won't hurt anything. If it wets anything electrical let the engine bay dry out before you crank anything. Leave the hood opened to let it dry.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
WhiteFinish

Re: Hood problem

Post by WhiteFinish »

monty73741 wrote:jeff abrams had that hood, he made a chanel out of fiberglass
Can I contact him under that name ?? Or is he registered under a different username.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I think Jeff is an MX-3 God among us mortals. I don't think he can be contacted through here anymore.
No more MX-3.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I have a hood similar to that in carbon fiber (minus the top hood scoop part and the hole isn't as big) and I have never had an issue in the rain... or when I wash the car for that matter. It leaks directly over the edge of the front valve cover and down onto my headers. Although dirt gets onto my front valve cover around the spark plugs... I've never had an issue because of the hole in my hood.

For a while I wanted to route the water over the headers or something but never got around to it... :roll: I guess I'll see what you guys come up with :D
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

That's also an option.

Just make the opening as far forward as possible. But on the other hand, it has to take the warm air away from the engine.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

I tried to contact him but I still don't have an answer...

So if anybody else knows a solution I'd love to hear it ;)
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Perhaps I should go for another hood.

Does anyone has any suggestions?

Demands:

* Has to lead the hot air away from enigine(bay)
* Rain can't flow over the engine.
OROutdoors
Supporting Member

Post by OROutdoors »

I guess I don't understand why a person would want an inverted hood and a scoop -- other than looks. The inverted portion is designed to allow hot air to draft out of the engine bay. The scoop is designed to ram air into the engine bay. To have a hot air draft and a scoop seems to have the net yield of ramming hot air into the scoop. Now, aren't hood scoops supposed to be for air intake or for a relocated intercooler? If so, they you wouldn't want to a hot air draft just before the cold air scoop.

I'd suggest off-set drafts and scoops on a hood. Scoop the cold air on one side and draft the hot air on the other. I haven't seen this on an Mx-3, but maybe you could fiberglass one, or do a bunch of metal work on a stock hood the gently move the metal into position.

Eric
Oregon Outdoors
92 mx-3 GS lowered, CF hood
2013 Mazdaspeed3
Volones

Post by Volones »

OROutdoors wrote:... or do a bunch of metal work on a stock hood the gently move the metal into position.

Eric
Heh, I like how you word that... "gently" :lol:

Return to “Appearance”