ScooterBovine - 1993 MX-3 GS

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

ScooterBovine - 1993 MX-3 GS

Post by ScooterBovine »

Here is the beginning of my worklog. So far, I have a Laguna Blue MX-3 GS with over 200,000 miles on it.

Current mods:

Front and Rear strut bars. I learned a lesson from these... Ebay can really suck! The front strut bar's threads were ALL JACKED UP! We had to use a lot of muscle to thread those bad boys. But at least we know the bolts won't go anywhere...

Fully adjustable KONI struts. These things are NICE! My car sticks to to ground really well. I might have to crank them up a notch or more on the front once I put in my KLZE in order to prevent some wheel hoppage.

Racing harness, blue. I dunno, it was already in the car when I got it, so I left it in there. I never use it, though...

MOMO Steering wheel. I love this wheel! The grip is great, and it still allowed me to utilize the cruise control funtions. My horn stopped working the other day, though, hmm...

Complete Stereo Overhaul. Polk MOMO 6.5" speakers all the way around powered by an Alpine 4 channel amplifier, and 2 10" Kicker subwoofers in the trunk. Custom subwoofer enclosure yet to come!

Pacesetter MONZA exhaust. Not a bad exhaust, no real problems yet. I thought it had rusted through, but upon inspection, it was a gasket by the Cat that went bad, causing the exhaust to leak and be loud. Once that was fixed, the exhaust was fine.

Custom Short Shift boot. I purchased it from Taras on this forum, along with an ebrake boot. Great quality, not yet installed though due to not having a short shifter... Yet. Speaking of Taras, anyone seen him on the forums lately?

FX Designs Combat rear bumper. Looks great on my car. I would have stayed with the stock, but it was on my last car until someone rear ended me and destroyed it. My friend Jay fixed it for me. Shortly after fixing it, he got in a bad car accident and died, so I put it on my car to honor his memory.

FX Designs Combat Spoiler. I put this on, but now I don't think I like it. It has cracked on the wing, and when I look back, all I see is spoiler in my window. The brake lights also don't work. All in all, I think it's going to come off and the GS spoiler is going back on. Anyone want a broken Combat Spoiler? Haha!

FX Designs Combat Side Skirts. Sitting in my garage waiting to go on my car. Someday, they will... Man, my car needs a paint job, too. And some dent removal to the various dings all over it.

That's about it for my current mods thus far. I just got some rims, but I forgot what they are. I will update this part when I find their name. Also, I have a KLZE motor ready to go into my car, just waiting till I have a week off in order to devote my full attention to the swap, and I still need to get the extra parts to go with it (water pump, timing belt, etc).
No more MX-3.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Installing the Pacesetter headers now, along with a KLZE engine swap and a new SPEC clutch.
No more MX-3.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

you gonna have it rolling again by October when I come up there?
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I'm pretty sure it will be rolling next week. Assuming my headers get here in a timely manner. I'll use the K8 ECU and VAF until my MegaSquirt gets in, then I will be messing around with that.
No more MX-3.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Added a Fidanza Flywheel. So the end result is:

KLZE swap
Cold air intake
Fidanza Flywheel
SPEC Stage 1 clutch
Pacesetter Headers
Pacesetter Exhaust (2.25")
New timing belt and water pump
No more MX-3.
verzutiko
Supporting Member

Post by verzutiko »

Whoa! This will be nice. What about some pics though?

And talking about Taras, I think he has left the board.
'92 GS
My worklog
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Yeah, kind of shy with the pics. My car sat in the sun for about a year and a half while I was in Germany on deployment. Needless to say, the paint is in bad condition, and the windshield wiper arms are rusted like crazy... But I will get some pics of the dirty engine install and the such here soon.
No more MX-3.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

You should just prime it until you can get it painted! I can help you if you need it to make it look nice and smooth...
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Well, I am ripping off the FX Designs combat wing and giving it to someone, gonna go back to the GS Spoiler, and I still need to put the sideskirts on the car. Then I will look into a paint job. I don't know if I want to stick with the Laguna Blue or go with something else, like black. I also need to tint the rear hatch, it's a thief magnet right now. When I get some pics, you will see why...
No more MX-3.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Yay, the swap is done.
Things to note:
1)Exhaust has a leak, sounds raspy as hell. Sounds absolutely terrible. On my to fix list.

2)Running RICH! I can see gasoline coming out the tailpipe! We are talking 15 mpg! I hope when I get the MegaSquirt installed with the correct fuel maps and all that, this problem will be corrected!

3)I think the pulleys or the belt or something is loose. Something needs to be tightened, that is for sure. Makes some weird noises. Not really heard at higher RPMs.

4)Clutch "chatters". Low speeds only. Hopefully this will be negated when I break it in a little bit.

5)Got the infamous jumping idle problem. Easy fix, I hope. Just gotta do the ECU trick and adjust the idle control screw.

6)Brake light comes on? No idea why. Might be the K8 ECU thinking something is wrong. Plenty of brake fluid and all that. Brakes feel fine, car stops fine. Sometimes the light stays on, others it goes out.

7)Cruise control not working. Might be related to the same problem as to why my dome lights aren't working, or my radio, or why my clock keeps resetting. Gotta check some fuses. <--- Edit: It was the fuse labeled "ROOM". Everything works well now. Haven't tried the cruise control yet.
No more MX-3.
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

Some weak pictures for you guys to view.

Front view of car.

Side view of car.

Rear view of car.

My subwoofers in the rear hatch window. Thief magnet?
No more MX-3.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”