OBDII connector

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
marcdh

OBDII connector

Post by marcdh »

Hey,

Can someone confirm for me where exactly the OBDII connector is? I'm trying to finally work out if my late 95 reg 1.8 v6 is OBDI or II.

And yes I've searched the site! Is it in the centre under the fan controls? Or is there an easier way to tell?

Thanks for your help
Last edited by marcdh on October 10th, 2007, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

On my '96 MX3 RS, it's on the passenger side of the center console under the climate control. It faces downwards. The OBD-II connector has to be accessible without removing any panels. I'm sure it's in the same location on your car.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Also, I have the diagnostic connector under the hood, as well as the OBD-II plug on the passenger side. If I try to pull CEL codes from the diagnostic conncector by jumping TEN and Ground, I don't get any code.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

umcamar - Thats pretty much where I figured they would be.. but his car is in Ireland.. might be opposite of there but I dunno for sure since the car is likely to be right hand drive.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

umcamar1 wrote:Also, I have the diagnostic connector under the hood, as well as the OBD-II plug on the passenger side. If I try to pull CEL codes from the diagnostic conncector by jumping TEN and Ground, I don't get any code.
sweet :D I remember pulling codes with an LED from that when my dizzy died! I'll double check for the connector tho before I get my hopes up!

Yep RHdrive, thanks guys! Hmm is that klze I hear??? Though I'm tempted to turbo my k8 just for the noise!
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Sorry to bring upp an old thred but... I seem to have the same problem, cant figure out if i have OBDI or OBDII. My car was new in Norway medio 1997. I have the diagnostic connector under the hood. Does anyone know if Europen cars came with OBDII connectors? And does anyone have a picture of the OBDII connector.

Cind regards
Norwegian81
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Norwegian81

Post by Norwegian81 »

Thanks for that shameem, looks like i got an OBDI car. Cant find any such plug near the pasangerside without opening any pannel.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

You kinda have to be lying on your back, with your head under the dash to see it. Likely you'll have the conncector, even if your car isn't OBD-II, I do.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Try both passenger and driver sides.....

Also there might be some labels -one on (under) the hood and on the door pillars - they might say something about obd2 compliance.....
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

ok I haven't found any OBD II connectors. People keep telling me that because my car is a uk 1995 N reg it is going to be OBDII. I really have to sort this out once and for all.

On a UK forum one of the guys said if the ECU has 4 connectors its OBDII, OBDI have 2/3. Mine has 3, so does this 100% confirm OBDI?

I have 3 yellow connectors:

What do you guys reckon? I really need a conclusive test ASAP!

PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY:!:

Last edited by marcdh on October 10th, 2007, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
View Worklog
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I finally found out, my brother dug out the EPC (electronic parts catalogue). I typed in the VIN and my mx3 is in reality a 93 model manufactured 15th may 94 :D:D:D:D:D

KLZE here we come! (after the bilsteins& springs get sorted) :P

Oh and if anyone else is in the horrilbe situation I was PM or post your VIN and tell you the real year of your car ;)
View Worklog
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

marcdh wrote:ok I haven't found any OBD II connectors. People keep telling me that because my car is a uk 1995 N reg it is going to be OBDII. I really have to sort this out once and for all.

On a UK forum one of the guys said if the ECU has 4 connectors its OBDII, OBDI have 2/3. Mine has 3, so does this 100% confirm OBDI?

I have 3 yellow connectors:

What do you guys reckon? I really need a conclusive test ASAP!

PUT ME OUT OF MY MISERY:!:

thats OBD1

an OBDII the ECU has 4 plugs into it and they are all grey in color.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

lol now you answer me :P :P
been cracking up for days!

But thanks anyways man! :D
View Worklog
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Don't be mistaken tho. I have seen some 94 mx3's here in canada with grey connectors but only 3 of them They are still OBDI.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”