Battery cable replacement connection

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
neumann

Battery cable replacement connection

Post by neumann »

Sorry if this is poor etiquette but am cross posting to Electrical Lighting Forum

I have to change out the negative battery cable in my 1994 GS manual transmission. It finally went spectacularly bad. The Positive cable is okay but I am replacing the positive terminal. Ironically I had the parts already but was just hoping to do the work after I store the car for the summer. Unfortunately I have to get the car emission tested in the next two weeks.

I am a mechanical idiot so this may seem totally obvious, but where does the negative cable connect? All of the wiring is routed through conduits and wire loom and covered in filth so I am trying to do this while disturbing as little as possible other stuff.

One of the battery cables appears to be connected to the starter like the figure on page G-035 in the OSM, but my rank idiocy and fear of fireworks leads me to not want to test the probabilities.

Any help appreciated
My Summer car is a Porsche.
My Winter car is a 1994 Mazda MX-3 GS. 1.8L V6, K&N intake, Pacesetter Short Shift, Corksports SS Clutch line, Suspension Techniques lowered, Toyo Garit HTs for Winter Grip.
Audessy

Post by Audessy »

Good question. I'm looking for a good spot for the negative as well. Positive does go to the starter yes. And the starter is already grounded so don't run a negative wire to it.
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

all the ground wire does is bolt right into the frame. you can bolt it where ever you want as long as theres solid metal showing and not thick paint for a better connection.....so find a screw whole and bolt it down...
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

There's an electrical chassis ground point on the firewall behind the battery. Make sure to sand off any corrosion with a medium grit sandpaper or scotch pad before bolting down the ground.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”