My mx3 sense tells me its the timing?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

My mx3 sense tells me its the timing?

Post by hgallegos915 »

Im working on my buddys car..

The car will just crank and crank try to start .

Only way to start it is to move the disty ALL the way down and it will start.

It will sputter when you floor it.

Replaced VAF, spark plugs, spark plug wires. crank position sensor, tps/ Checked all the wires and no shorts. Replaced the ecu (old one fried when there was a short in the crank position sensor.

Replaced fuel pump

Replaced fuel pressure regulator. I got spark in all 6 cyl. Plugs are in the right order.

Car is a 92 gs with the k8 in it.

I say its the timing.. havent checked with timing light yet(will do during the week)

Any input?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Here I uploaded a video of what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCmuVcp-rIU
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Sure sounds like timing. Either the tensioner broke, or belt is worn out. Double check with timing belt. Had the same problem with my BP. Go figure it was the last thing I checked.( jumped a tooth)
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

^^^^if the hydrualic tensioner broke the car would not run sicne it wouldn't turn the canshafts. I think it jumped a tooth or so. take the covers off and check.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

Broke= as in if it wasnt working right.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

2x timming belt jumped a tooth

Happend to me when changed the belt. Car hould still run but ONLY with the disty rotated to the max.

So, one week later, I had the time to remove it and applied the belt properly to the cams. ( the R one is not so obvious to point) Then it worked OK with the disty at midle position.
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”