mnemonic is stumped

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

mnemonic is stumped

Post by Mnemonic »

Ok thursday the car died, It was running great all day, i ran into work for a second, and when i came back out, it wouldn't fire, it'll turn over all day just no vroom vroom. So i instantly start to check the minor things, started out to see if i got spark (plug wire + screw driver+ ground to see if i could get it to arc) well no spark, ok well i didnt have any tools with me so there wasnt much i could do but leave it there till today.

Today i went out and started to inspect parts in the ignition setup, and replaced:

Coil
HEI
Rotor
Cap

Still no spark, with my multi meter i tested the wires going to the hei, within spec 10-12 volts. I checked from the hei to the coil, same numbers, i checked from the coil to the disty (coil wire) same numbers. I also went and tested for resistance (ohm) .000 on everything i replaced, all is good on that end. Now i had a buddy turn try and start the car while i was testing the plug wires, to see if i was getting any type of spark, well i didn;t get any volts through the wires i checked (1st and 2nd cyl). Well i didnt think to check from the actual posts on the distributor cap to see if it was maybe my wires (very doubtful that all the wires would go out all at once). and yea i checked all the fuses 1, 2, and a 3rd time just to make sure.

So i am right now i have this lil scooby doo voice going off in my head as i am extremely confused on what it could be. the debate now is the cam sensor, I have an old distributor that i've always used in emergency type condition, but it gives me a bad cam sensor code, so i figured hey the car should crank even with a bad cam sensor, though i've been told this is not always the case. So i'm really confused as to what happen that just would make the car not crank at all.

Any ideas?

I plan on swapping in my old disty tomarrow to see if that makes any kind of difference, I will also be testing out my fuel pump just incase i actually am getting spark but maybe not fuel. I'll bring a k8 ecu to see if i can get it to fire or pull a code on it, but this is very bizzar to me, I really dont see how the actual distributor would actually cause problems now since really the only thing thats left in the disty is the cam sensor, the hei and coil are out and the only thing they really work with is the rotor and cap, which are brand new, so i dunno.

So if anyone has any suggestions feel free to drop a comment.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

timming belt.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yea i thought of that, luckly i have a spare so we shall see, i might have jumped timing or snapped it. just another thing i've gotta check out tomarrow
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

i get a very simillar problem in the morning, dont know if its too cold or moisture somewhere. later in the day it will fire up like nothing was wrong. im thinking the pins in the harness are just a little loose not making a very good connection, as it warms up the pins reconnect. also had a very simillar problem with 2 different gs mx3's, the harnesses going into the ecu had loose connections for the injectors.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

yea i mean i know its nothing wrong with the actual motor, its just something on the externally thats making it have issues, it did fire for about 15 seconds and i gave it a little gas to and it died

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

ok i spent all day checking and checking and checking i came up with nothing. Played around swapping the disty the engine still wont fire. Decided maybe it wasnt a ignition issue since i tested at the cap while cranking and i got power.

So i checked Fuel, well i pull the fuel line, put the car in the on position, waited to get sprayed with fuel, nothing, tried turning the car over while waiting to get sprayed with fuel, nothing. Went and checked the Fuel pump relay to see if it was "clicking" like it should when it cuts on and i didnt get hear any click nor felt any click but i'm not sure how to test the relay with a multi meter to see if its actually not working.

I am stumped and i am burnt to a crisp Please if anyone can shed some light and no i checked out the timing belt its good there

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well this is a PITA.. but it might offer you a solution.. pull the rear seat.. unplug the fuel pump wiring harness plug.. turn the key to the "run" position and check that plug for voltage. If you have voltage.. relay good.. pump bad.. if you dont have voltage.. relay bad.. pump likely good still. Hope that helps man.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

hahaha tunes you silly little boy, i dont have any rear interior (keeps people from thinking i'm going ot drive them everywhere, nope sorry my car is a 2 seater) :) its easier than apple pie :) give me a call later on and i'll pick your brain on what else you think it could be

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

No sweat man.. but PM me your Phone # again.. I lost it.. :oops:

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

pm sent thir

Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

did you check the cam position sensor? there should be one wire on the 6-pin disty plug that has +5v 6 times a rotation and one wire that has +5v for half a rotation. I think it's the wire closest to the firewall and the third from the firewall if I remember right.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

main relay was the issue

tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Circuit opening relay beside ECU or the Fuel Pump Relay under the hood?
Cody
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

tehbrookzorz wrote:Circuit opening relay beside ECU or the Fuel Pump Relay under the hood?
Main fuse
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Mnemonic wrote:main relay was the issue

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”