What Kind of Transmission is this?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
n4bme

What Kind of Transmission is this?

Post by n4bme »

I have what I have been told is a MX-3 transmission. Tagged as JM1EC4313P0223622.
Can anyone tell me what exactly it is?

Image (alt+p)[/img]

Any help would be appreciated.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Based on the VIN its an MX-3 tranny.

And based on the pic its an automatic.

Based on thelocation of the starter, its for a 4-cyl.

Based on experience with automatic MX-3 trannies, they are made out of spun sugar and are junk.

Good luck though.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
n4bme

Post by n4bme »

This is a good one that was bought for a car that was trashed before it could be installed. I was asked to find it a good home. I appreciate the info.
david_wilson

Post by david_wilson »

Helllo,

I have a few questions,

Question 1 (for anyone): My 19 year old daughter has a 1992 Mazda MX-3 4-Cylinder Hatchback with a VIN of JM1EC4312N0121550 and the symptom of "The car won't go." She's living a couple hours away from home and has virtually no cash; so we're looking for an inexpensive solution other than "Ride the bus." Would this be the transmission that she needs?

Question 2 (for the seller): Is this still available?

Question 3: (For anyone): Is there a better solution than replacing the infamous "spun sugar" tranny with more "spun sugar?"

I'm looking for a 4-year or 40,000 mile solution for a relatively lightly driven daily commuter if such a thing exists.

Thanks,

David

Return to “Transmissions”