Boosted KLZE 500+bhp Management

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
Tommy D

Boosted KLZE 500+bhp Management

Post by Tommy D »

Hey guys, im looking into the best ways to carry out a project im researching.

Lots of the US and Canadian guys use Megasquirt on their Boosted KL's.

Without any disrespect or tainting to the product, i have mentioned Megasquirt to many Tuning Companys in the U.K and they say its "Basic" and not complex enough to be safe running high power. They say i should use Apexi, Motec or Haltech etc.......

Is this due to the brand not being well known over here or is it without sounding rude, a do it yourself cheaper option without perfect results? Maybe newer boards have more options and control. I have read up on Megasquirt and im very curious but the experts over here are quite negative about the idea of me running a 8:1 Boosted ZE on it.

I like to hear both sides to an argument as many of you guys use the Squirt and Spark etc....

What do you think, dont be afraid to say they are talking crap over here, speak freely, cheers :)
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

if you are considering megasquirt you could get a deal on the probetalk BB but it ends in 2 days
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i dont know 500+ is alot of power now, not saying that the megasquirt wont handle it, but with that much power i would start considering something like tech 3. Though i dont know Hppdwn may correct me on this as his setup could very well be in that range (I'm sure it deffinetly will) and he's running megasquirt. I to plan on running megasquirt but i'm only looking to hit 300whp but with a setup that can handle more so when i get used to it i can turn it up (to a point i'll probably have 2 maps 1 for cruising and one for playing)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

USE a TEC II if u can find on or the TEC III or the newest version TEC GT. that new system has been doing some impersive work in some of the miata's i have seen it hook on. below is the site.

I myself am using a TEC II and im happy with it.

http://www.getfuelinjected.com
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I should be at the dyno next weekend for the first trip with my built motor. It won't be the 500whp trip, it's just to test 2 different IMs. The following trip will be with the larger injectors and high boost.

I have no doubt the MS can handle it.

I would use the metaphor that MS is to Motech, Haltech etc as Linux is to Microsoft. People have used windows forever and don't understand any other options. But the people who work with Linux love it and swear by it.

Megasquirt has some endless possibilities to it, you just have to know what you're doing.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
claude matte

Post by claude matte »

this is 100% true with ms
(you just have to know what you're doing.)
its not just the uk that people dont want to touch ms stuff
i cant find anyone around here to mess with it too (ottawa area)
gooooooooo with haltech or something well known by tons for tuners .
i have ms, and im so done with tuners giving me a smerk when they tell me they dont want anything to do with ms system .ive been trying to find a tuner for the hole summer now and nothing. im not saying that ms doesnt work im saying if you like to spend more time reading dead post on pt or ms web site then driving your car.. ms is for you .

but if your like me the type of person that dosent need to know how every little value and table tunes your car ,and you feel ok with paying a fair rate to have your car running top in just a few hours by someone that know what they doing, then geT A KNOWN SYSTEM.
if i had the chance to start over i would buy a haltech in a hart beat hands down... thats what im saving for now. im still trying to just get ms to run the car properly long enought pull it out of the driveway VENT VENT :evil:
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3mazda
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3346603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; new pics
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

MS is for people who are interested in learning how everything in the car works.

And the fact that a hands off install of one of the major stand alones on an MX3 will cost more than some of us paid for the car in the first place.

Honestly, there's been times I've gone 6 months of daily driving without ever opening up my laptop to look at my MS settings. It's like any other stand alone. If you get a good tune it'll run forever. But no one to tune it=crappy car.

Your problem seems to be that no one up there can help you and you really need someone there in person.

From what we've spoken about over PM I think it's a real simple problem, just one of those "I'd have to see it" things.

Down here in SFL there's adecent amount of respect for MS at the local shops. Probably because we do a lot of MS tuning down here.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
claude matte

Post by claude matte »

o for sure ms works there no problem there its just for the lack of tuners that want to come out of there save zone and do anything diffrent then hondat or greddy e mang seem to be a real problem .and since i dont under stand what to do my self i realy do want to f with it ,since i have all this money tie in to it .
i have pauter rods, wiseco pis, full farria valve train, colt cams ,port and pollish , toga bearings had toga oil pump took it off, garrett t3to4e , 38 mm tail wg ,apexi avrc boost controler, hks ssq bov, areomotive fuel pressur reg, center force duel friction clutch ,full hand built aluminum sheet metal intake single plenum and a hand made aluminum 7l oil pan , 3 solid mouts plate steel,fuel pump. and some oter sh-t i cant think of
so the only 2 thing i cheap out on are the ems and the hot pipes that are junk theres more cut and weld on them then michel jackson face lol
so when your in this deep whats another 1000 bucks .
i am realy think about what we talked about in pm of flying jordan in, but i cant find anyone to split the cost ive run a post and everything no one so lets do the math ms cost 300 +fly someone in 200-500 + 1000 to tune+2-4 hr @dyno@100hr total 2200-2700 and the car is tuned then if i change somthng then what?? this all over again .
haltech e11v2 1300 +45 min drive to dyno+2-4 hr tune@160 hr total 1600-2000 and when i change somthing it only 45 min and dyno time
so thats the way i see it as of now vary shitty lol deal for me you can see me work log on http://www.streetscene.ca/yabbse/index.php?topic=740.0 but you will have to sign in its my local car club
http://members.cardomain.com/mx3mazda
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3346603" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; new pics
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

If jordan were to fly in he typical makes sure you know your way around megatune before he leaves. It's really a rather straight forward program.

Do whatever will work best for you. Your in a bit of a pickle up there because of some unwilling tuner shops.

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”