Reliable High BHP Forced Induction KL-ZE Build Advice?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Tommy D

Reliable High BHP Forced Induction KL-ZE Build Advice?

Post by Tommy D »

I am on my second ZE as i bent a valve on the first through high RPM thrashing. I have looked at the Engine Internal Upgrading list and there are lots of parts for sure that i am interested in.

My Mazda is a fun car but i have for the last year been looking into a Rear Engine Conversion. Many people say dont do it, buy a car with it as standard but i enjoy a challenge and love my MX so through talks with many experienced Kit Car builders i have found a company will happily take the job on. They are experts and would spaceframe the rear of my car and remove all unnescissary weight and install the engine in the rear. They would even make my rear window in Perspex to save weight and put ducts on the side for the intercooler, the aftermarket rad would still be at the front of the car.

My simple question to anyone who knows is, what power can be extracted from a KL-ZE, using the search button i have seen custom inlet manifolds, even chatting to Steve (Babyblue) over a year ago his was over 400WHP so what i am after is a shopping list with BHP figures that correspond to specific kits. There is no list of rated BHP internals, what Comp Ratio Pistons to go with. I am looking for in excess of 500Bhp 700Bhp would be ideal, can a KLZE take that with specific parts. It depends what you are after and i can say that i simply want loads of acceleration and to be pinned in the seat. Lag does not bother me, if a big turbo is needed, what would you recommend? So many questions, no rush, just cant wait to start with all components decided upon.

I am going to research this in full but if anyone has any advice or contacts that live/sleep KL-ZE's please ask for their input.

Many Thanks, Tom
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Prepare your wallet for a massive hit. You are going to have to be the pioneer of custom built tranny for the KL that can take all that torque and HP. Good luck with that.
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

Im not going with the KL box, thats for sure!!! The Tranny will be the hardest part i think....

Im going to search for a strong Transverse box with LSD and rebuild it with straight cut gears.

900Bhp is my aim, one guy from a Tuning Company has said for 9000CAD a 900BHP Race built ZE / Turbo GT40 / Injectors could be made available as a package.....
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Quaife made some nice gearboxes
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Wow, this'll cost you. Also, where's the challenge if the shop is going to be doing all the big work? Unless by "challenge" you mean coming up with the money. :wink:

MX-3 was designed to be a FF car, so everything is distributed to accommodate that. Once you shift the block to the back, it's gonna shift your weight significantly, and you might have to rework the front end to recover the handling. Unless all you're interested is flooring it down the straight.
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

The Front weight/handling issue was one of my worries but i have been told that the Fuel Tank, and other bits wil go at the front. It was also said by the guy who was looking around the car that it might be good for handling sake to keep the front engine in and make them identical then map them both so they both work together. Twin Engines are quite common with tuners in the UK and produce crazy results, and of course 4 x 4 accelerarion and handling. He said this would be more balanced but they could make just the rear work also.

The rear will have indipendent wishbone suspension and the front will have coilovers set up.

Also by "challenge" i mean to take on something different as i will also be helping out as im quite mechanical myself. I have an Engineering and also a Product Design qualificatons.

It will be expensive, which is why i have asked what costs components are so i can make a decision on how far to go as i wont waste money.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Twin Engine MX3 would be mental. :shock:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Wow good luck and stay in touch with us. This will be very interesting to see
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

After talking to many tuning companies in the UK, it looks like i will be going with just one seriously tuned ZE in the back. Im also geting straight cut gears for the Box as its so much hassle to slide a different box on.

So who can point me in the direction of a serious ZE tuner? ie 500+bhp

What Specs are required...

Im just going to rebuild my ZE to big bhp, run it in the front for next summer and when i swap it to the rear if i want to change anything ill do it then as a few guys have said find a setup that works in the front and then when happy with it, swap to the rear and remap.

I want a reliable 500+ bhp setup so internals need to be bullet proof. Any info welcome, thanks :)
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Perhaps you should look on the Australian Forum.

Miguel from the Netherlands said there's a dragrace car with a klze (individual throttle body's and twin-turbo that produces 800bhp)

I also think you gearbox will be the biggest challange. The fifth gear blows out at 350bhp. That's only half way to your goal.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

you ahve questions on 500hp kl's you should check out probetalk.com and good luck getting this done. i would like to see pics when done!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

Just to say guys im still going ahead with this, i was tempted to sell the car but iv had offers for the parts i wont need and iv just got a much better job so should be able to get this al done by early next year.

I have spoken to the conversion company again, lots of ideas flowing.

I have spoken to Ralph from DRD Tuning, does anyone have experience with this guy, here is a list of what he offered...

"Hi Tom. It's Ralph from DRD Tuning in Canada. I checked the options for you to built your turbo'd KL.

Here's what i think is the best for you.

-Eagle Forged con rods
-ACL Engine bearings
-Fel-Pro Engine gaskets
-JE 8:1 CR Forged pistons
-Overbored/stroked to 2.7-2.8L
-Adjustable cam gears
-Tubular intake manifold
-600cc injectors
-Lightened flywheel (Fidanza 9lbs)
-Unorthodox crank pulley
-Garett GT35R ball bearingTurbos
-HKS Blow off valves
-Polished exhaust / intake ports, knife edged (From ZE Heads)
-Colt cams turbo-grind camshafts
-Interprep 195psi valve springs or FERREA dual spring valve kit w/oversized valves
-CZT Titanium valve retainers
-Tubular headers

All for 9000$ CDN.

Please contact me if you have any questions."

Ralph also sent a picture of the custom style Inlet Manifold they are making a prototype of.

I have been told by Ralph that this setup should produce 650-700bhp, Quaife are also looking into a custom Strainht Cut gearset and diff for my application. Im may even use a quaffe box and modify a bell housing
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

Tommy D wrote:... the custom style Inlet Manifold they are making a prototype of.

A prototype 4+ years in the making it appears....

Sick notion you have here Tommy; can't wiat to see the results!
93 GS SE
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

that IM looks crazy... I guess on a car like you are building you will have no need for VRIS...

man I wish I had the time and money for a project like this! take lots of pictures so us dreamers can follow along :D
Tommy D

Post by Tommy D »

lol, anyone can build a MX3 with stupid power, its just what you are willing to sacrifice and in this case. I was just wondering if anyone had experience with the company as iv not seen a website yet but he seems genuine. Theres no way i will part with any money without major proof of a company existing after the Turbo BB technicalities.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”