92 1.8 power dip

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jeremypotter74

92 1.8 power dip

Post by jeremypotter74 »

I seem to have a power band that goes from about 300-500 rpm. But it seems to dip in second gear right at 4000. I can feel the acceleration kick at about 3 and then it seems to hesitate at 4 and pick right back up through 5. I just bought the car and everything is stock at this point I also have a tap in the rear passenger side area of the engine probably an HLE but I can hear it inside the car at idle. Any suggestions regarding the power drop?

Thanx.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Sounds like a VRIS shift. We have three effective runner legnths that are changed by valves in the intake. They are controlled by vaccum and open and close to change the intake. Have someone slowly rev from idle to 5500 RPM. Then watch the two VRIS silinoids on the back of the intake to make sure both open. One opens at 4000 or about, then the other opens right at 5000, but I cannot remember the exact RPMs they shift at.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Most people with the stock 1.8 'see' a power dip at 4,000 RPM. It's usually just the slight delay when the VRIS flaps shift followed by a power surge when the intermediate runners start flowing air.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

my k8 did that too...its normal. its called a flatspot, just get a klze.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
jeremypotter74

Post by jeremypotter74 »

That helps alot..... I was wondering what those vacuume solenoids were for.... I'll check that tomorrow when it wont disturb my neighbors thanx for the help....
Sal

Post by Sal »

my k8 did that too...its normal. its called a flatspot, just get a klze.

lol....thats your solution to everything get a klze!!! " my door wont open, its ok get a klze".....funny guy!!!
93 ZE curve neck, kl36 ecu, apex lowring springs tokico struts front and rear upper strut bars and a CAI.. still building!!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Dude.. once you go klze, you will never want to go back!!

(unless you boost and get a klde with ze heads)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Sal

Post by Sal »

Dude.. once you go klze, you will never want to go back!!
i know im getting mine next week...wats the advantage to getting a de with ze heads!!!
93 ZE curve neck, kl36 ecu, apex lowring springs tokico struts front and rear upper strut bars and a CAI.. still building!!
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

boosted needs lower comp pistons, and ze heads are better then de heads
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Sal wrote:lol....thats your solution to everything get a klze!!! " my door wont open, its ok get a klze"
Man speaks the truth ;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
Sal wrote:lol....thats your solution to everything get a klze!!! " my door wont open, its ok get a klze"
Man speaks the truth ;)
thanks Mike...its the truth klze all the way, you won't wanna go back. just sucks when they blow up. But thats the fun of beating the s--- out of a car at racetracks every week...lol
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
PurpleDinosaur

Post by PurpleDinosaur »

anyone mind if I take this ZE circle jerk back on topic? :lol:

... the flat spot... is this just to be accepted or can cleaning the linkagkes for the VRIS shutters clean it up?

I ask because just yesterday after reading this thread, my K8 developed said flat spot... for me it happens if I "sneak up on" 4000 rpm - if I am hammering it hard (WOT) and approaching 4000 it just blows right on by with no "flat"...

Normal? Not normal? Do I need to clean / adjust VRIS?

or should I just get a ZE??? :lol::lol:
93 GS SE
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: 92 1.8 power dip

Post by Mooneggs »

jeremypotter74 wrote:I seem to have a power band that goes from about 300-500 rpm. But it seems to dip in second gear right at 4000. I can feel the acceleration kick at about 3 and then it seems to hesitate at 4 and pick right back up through 5. I just bought the car and everything is stock at this point I also have a tap in the rear passenger side area of the engine probably an HLE but I can hear it inside the car at idle. Any suggestions regarding the power drop?

Thanx.
I have been testing this the last few days and I don't have any kind of "flat spot" in my k8. It is strong from 3-6k all the way through... LOL much slower than the klze but I don't feel a lack of power based on the k8 engine...
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

PurpleDinosaur wrote:anyone mind if I take this ZE circle jerk back on topic? :lol:

... the flat spot... is this just to be accepted or can cleaning the linkagkes for the VRIS shutters clean it up?

I ask because just yesterday after reading this thread, my K8 developed said flat spot... for me it happens if I "sneak up on" 4000 rpm - if I am hammering it hard (WOT) and approaching 4000 it just blows right on by with no "flat"...

Normal? Not normal? Do I need to clean / adjust VRIS?

or should I just get a ZE??? :lol::lol:
The VRIS are set to only activate at wide-open-throttle with our factory ECU.
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Really? I could swear I've seen mine activate regardless of throttle position. I'll have to check again sometime.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”