Possible sunroof wiring issue?

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Possible sunroof wiring issue?

Post by Tunes67 »

When I first got my GS, I didnt try the sunroof.. I brought the car home and my original intent was to strip the car and sell the parts. But as fate would have it.. I stumbled across a 5spd kit for the car and the cars destiny was forever altered. ;) Now.. a few weeks ago.. when I finally restored main power to the car, I tried the sunroof.. and found that it didnt work.. I also found that the fuse for the sunroof had been pulled. So I replaced the fuse and tried the sunroof.. it worked :) Then I discovered that the power door lock on the passenger side of the car had stopped functioning. So I pulled that fuse back out.. and sure enough.. it started working again.

Now.. I have tried various combinations of fuse in, fuse out, sunroof elecronics unplugged/plugged in, and now.. the power door lock wont work at all in any situation (fuse in or out) and with that fuse in.. there seems to be a power drain on the battery. And the drain is there even if the sunroof switch panel is unplugged. So I doubt its the sunroof electronics (motor, switch, etc..) that are causing the issue. The drain is very slight.. took it a week to kill the battery and neither the battery nor any wiring components I could find were "warm" to the touch as you would expect when finding a shorted circuit.

So here is my question.. anyone have anything like this happen in their car? Or hear of such a thing? Since the power door lock functioned before that fuse was ever put back in.. I cant see how the circuits could actually be related. So this one has me scratching my head. Anyone have an idea on this?

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

your car is possessed, only the presence of moca can save it.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Maybe check your power door lock relay, motor, and switch. Relay could be stuck open or closed. Not very common, but it happens. There's also a sunroof relay underneath the headliner, behind the sunroof, towards the back of the car.

Hope this can help.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”