oil in spark plugs

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
fritzfab

oil in spark plugs

Post by fritzfab »

hey guys i went to change my spark plugs and wires and when i removed the back ones 2 out of the 3 had oil all over them what does that mean, i know its not good but what causes that does anyone know?
IRISHmx-3

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

leaking gasket or that the rocker cover is loose and oil is escaping!
could also be from someon sprayine eg. WD-40 onto the plugs!
I did it once when my plugs got wet so people to do it like!
V6Gav

Post by V6Gav »

was the oil on top of the plugs or actually on the electrode itselv?

on top isn't a problem, just the rocker gasket needs replacing which u can leave if u want, shouldnt loose that much oil and its not really a bad problem.
£125 V6, be on the road sooooooooon!
fritzfab

Post by fritzfab »

no the oil was all over the spark plugs they were covered from top to bottom and dripping when i pulled them out , and it could possibly be a really bad leak and my car definately lost power from it i can tell so im really concerned what do you suggest
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

fritzfab wrote:no the oil was all over the spark plugs they were covered from top to bottom and dripping when i pulled them out , and it could possibly be a really bad leak and my car definately lost power from it i can tell so im really concerned what do you suggest
Im sure when you removed your spark plugs oil that was on top of them just poured down and coated rest of the spark plug. You just need to replace gasket.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
V6Gav

Post by V6Gav »

If you run it for a while the oil should burn off and the engine should be fine, shouldnt be any loss of power with a leaky rocker gasket. If the leaks that bad then id replace the rocker gasket, the front of mine needs replacing and its and easy job, think the back will be a bit harder but shouldn't be a big job.
£125 V6, be on the road sooooooooon!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”